Boy, 6, burnt alive in his sleep after lamp caught fire next to bed
A mum who lost her son in a house fire has described how she desperately tried to rescue her six-year-old boy.
Riley Jake Jackson died in hospital after being rescued from the house in Ilkeston, Derbyshire, in last October.
The fire started after the heat from a halogen bulb caused the lamp shade to catch fire before it fell over next to Riley's bed, an inquest heard.
Grief-stricken mother Cheryl Bradley described how she approached to Riley's bedroom soon as she heard the alarm sounding.
"I can't describe the fear. Hearing the alarm, it's just your worst fear," she said.
She told the court that she and her nine-year-old daughter Grace went upstairs and attempted to open the door, which she said she had not closed earlier, but the door would not open, reported Derbyshire Live .
The pair then went onto the street at the front of the house to find help.
A neighbour joined force and tried to get into the bedroom upstairs but was unsuccessful.
Little Riley was later found by Derbyshire Fire and Rescue officers on top of the mattress.
Coroner Dr Robert Hunt said the boy's death could only be described as a 'tragic accident' and said 'it's more likely than not that he was asleep'.
He added that Riley would not have felt any pain from burns he suffered as he was unconscious due to inhaling the smoke from the flames.
Fire investigation officer Chris Smith told the court that the door may have been blocked from inside by burned items which had fallen and obstructed the movement of the door.
He also said that the door frame could have expanded causing it to jam.
Ms Bradley said Riley was a 'happy, high-spirited boy who loved life and wanted to learn'.
She described the moments she gave him 'a big kiss and a hug' before he went up to bed.
Ms Bradley and her family were left distressed after receiving ill-informed comments on social media.
Dr Hunter said: "It's very easy to point the finger at someone, in a position of ignorance, not knowing the full facts.
"It concerns me in society today that there is a lack of compassion for a mother who's lost her darling little boy."
The inquest also heard how the fire started after the halogen light bulb came into contact with 'combustible material'.
It's thought the bulb was smoldering away for around 20 to 30 minutes before the blaze spread around the bedroom.
A post-mortem examination indicated Riley died from 'fire-related burns and carbon-related toxicity'.
Dr Hunter addressed to the family: "I hope the inquest has given you a sense of closure. Riley's death could not have been predicted or foreseen.
"You should not tie yourself up in guilt. No one should feel responsible."
Top news stories from Mirror Online
Source: Read Full Article