Worker dies after falling into vat of sulfuric acid
“Fooling around on the job is a job for fools.”
This ominous message was reportedly displayed outside a manufacturing building in Michigan — where a worker died Saturday after falling into a vat of sulfuric acid.
Fellow employees found Daniel Hill, also known as “Moose,” fully submerged in the chemical tank and tried rescuing him, according to HometownLife.
Tragic end to search for Spanish boy trapped in hole for 13 days
Double-decker bus crash leaves 3 dead, 23 injured
Michigan family of five killed by suspected drunk driver
Candle sparked deadly Long Island blaze: officials
The 54-year-old grandfather was taken to a decontamination room and then rushed to a hospital, but he eventually succumbed to his injuries.
It’s unclear how long Hill — who worked for Michigan Seamless Tube in South Lyon — was in the vat or how he fell in. Local officials told reporters that the acid inside was heated to temperatures of at least 160 degrees.
“This really is a tragedy and affects all of us,” said South Lyon Police Chief Chris Sovik on Monday. “We tried to reach out to his family and we offer our condolences.”
Authorities are investigating the incident — described by MST management as a “serious industrial accident” — but do not believe there was any foul play.
The “fooling around on the job” message that was outside the company building on Saturday appeared to be gone by Monday afternoon. Local reporter Charlie Langton had tweeted out a picture of the sign that displayed it earlier in the day.
“So sad,” he said.
Hill had been working at MST for about two years and had recently been transferred to a new position, according to officials.
He was described in his obituary as a “loving husband, a wonderful father, and the best grandfather to his grandchildren, which he called ‘his little angels.’”
“Daniel was very generous to everyone he met and a very dedicated, hard worker,” the obit added. “He served in the Army in the motor pool and was proud of his service.”
According to MST, Hill was a “valued” employee and his death is being investigated.
“The Company is conducting a comprehensive investigation of the accident and is cooperating with the Michigan Occupational Safety and Health Administration,” it said.
Source: Read Full Article