Bill Cosby’s Hollywood Walk of Fame star will not be removed
Bill Cosby is about to spend the next three to 10 years in prison for sexual assault, but that doesn’t seem to phase the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce in the least bit.
In a statement Tuesday, officials said the convicted comedian would be allowed to keep his star on the Walk of Fame — despite widespread calls to remove it.
“The stars only commemorate the recipient’s professional accomplishments,” the statement said, describing the Walk of Fame as a “historical record of entertainment figures past and present.”
“Once installed, the stars become part of the historic fabric of the Walk of Fame … and are intended to be permanent,” officials added. “It is regrettable when the personal lives of inductees do not measure up to public standards and expectations; however, the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce does not remove stars from the Walk of Fame.”
A petition had been submitted on Monday, urging commerce officials to scrub Cosby’s name off for good after numerous attacks on the star — including one where the words “serial rapist” were scrawled on it.
“This is America,” wrote one Twitter user on Tuesday. “We champion our predators.”
Cosby, 81, was slapped with a three- to 10-year prison sentence after being convicted of felony aggravated indecent assault. He was also declared a sexually violent predator.
Source: Read Full Article