Dan Walker: BBC Breakfast host’s Beirut explosion comment queried by fans ‘Horrific’
We will use your email address only for sending you newsletters. Please see our Privacy Notice for details of your data protection rights.
BBC Breakfast presenter Dan Walker, 43, took to Twitter to repost a video which sees smoke, fire and sparks coming from the Beirut port. The clip was filmed from a resident’s balcony and has since gone viral. The original tweet read: “What looks like fireworks going off before the large explosion at the #Beirut port. #Lebanon.”
Horrific. I really hope it isn’t as devastating as it looks
Dan shared the post in view of his 668,000 followers, writing: “Horrific. I really hope it isn’t as devastating as it looks.”
While the presenter’s tweet was meant with good intention, many of his followers queried his choice of words.
One user wrote: “‘Isn’t as Devastating as it looks’… come on Dan it’s an unbelievable blast.”
“I hope it isn’t as devastating as it looks… ffs what a statement,” a second commented.
“How can that not be devastating?! It’s the most horrific footage I’ve seen since twin towers,” a third penned.
A fourth wrote: “I think it’s probably worse.”
Others defended the BBC star’s post, with one writing: “He said he ‘hoped’ it wasn’t as devastating as it looked.
“I’m sure we all hoped that as well.”
Another wrote: “Dan – I have many friends and ex-colleagues in Beirut. It is awful.
“Thankfully all the messages I have received so far, are to tell me friends are safe.”
The Beirut explosion occurred from a warehouse at the city’s port on Tuesday, leaving 135 residents dead and around 5,000 injured.
It has also caused widespread damage across the city, such as cracked roads and crumbled buildings.
BBC Presenter apologises after uttering ‘N-word’ during broadcast [APOLOGY]
Debbie McGee opens up on ‘unsure times’ as she shares ‘sad’ news [TWITTER]
Katya Jones gets candid amid Neil Jones split ‘We’ve been talking’ [REVEALED]
Lebanese officials investigating the cause believe a shipment of highly explosive materials, which were reportedly unloaded from a ship in 2013, could’ve been the cause of the explosion.
An investigation is under way to find the exact trigger.
Prime Minister Hassan Diab addressed the ordeal in a statement yesterday.
He said: “As head of the government, I will not relax until we find the responsible party for what happened, hold it accountable and apply the most serious punishments against it.”
He has since made an “urgent appeal” for other countries to “stand by Lebanon” through the troubling time and “help us heal our deep wounds”.
Prime Minister Boris Johnson also tweeted: “The pictures and videos from Beirut tonight are shocking.
“All of my thoughts and prayers are with those caught up in this terrible incident.
“The UK is ready to provide support in any way we can, including to those British nationals affected.”
Source: Read Full Article