Gary Barlow opens up about 'rough period with food' to James Corden
‘The trouble is, I love Chinese, chips and crisps’: Gary Barlow details slipping into food comas and his bitter disappointment over ‘losing control’
Gary Barlow has discussed his ‘rough period’ with food and his health, candidly admitting he ‘lost control of himself’.
The Take That singer, 49, was speaking to his close friend James Corden on Zoom about his old eating habits after the Gavin And Stacey star asked for tips.
In the interview for The Sun, Gary said that the food he loved gave him ‘a couple of minutes of a food coma’ and took him ‘out of the real world’, as he gorged on ‘Chinese, chips, crisps’ during that period.
Struggles: Gary Barlow has discussed his ‘rough period’ with food and his health, candidly admitting he ‘lost control of himself’ (pictured left in 2005 and right in 2018)
He admitted that his diet was more serious than ‘just losing a couple of stone’ and was more of a ‘condition’ he couldn’t continue.
He said: ‘I remember one particular day just thinking: “How have I got here?” I was just so disappointed with myself…
‘So it started there for me and I turned my brain on to sorting out what I ate. The trouble is the food I love – Chinese, chips, crisps. They were giving me a couple minutes of a food coma, taking me out of the real world. It’s just not good, that…
‘So I decided not to have cheat days, and just stay away from those foods. I’d love to have the odd cigarette now and then but I can’t. I can’t start smoking again.
Opening up: The Take That star said that the food he loved gave him ‘a couple of minutes of a food coma’ and took him ‘out of the real world’ (pictured in February this year)
‘I’ve just not got the personality where I can tease myself every so often with something I love because I just end up going down that road again.’
He said that generally 90 per cent of what he eats are sensible choices, with the remaining 10 per cent as ‘fun choices’.
James then admitted that he has recently realised that he has to retrain his mind into thinking ‘this will be forever now’ after coming off diets and thinking that now he’s lost weight he’ll do something else.
Can’t continue: Gary admitted that his diet was more serious than ‘just losing a couple of stone’ and more of a ‘condition’ (pictured with James in 2014 on When Corden Met Barlow)
Gary advised keeping a food diary every day, saying to ‘buy a nice little writing book’, adding ‘one you’ll feel good about holding and keeping on you at all times’.
He said that it’ll make you see what you’re doing wrong, because if you eat a chocolate bar you’ll have to write it down.
James joked that his food diary would say: ‘Breakfast: Black coffee. Lunch: Grilled chicken breast, broccoli. Dinner: Piece of salmon, salad.” Then it would say: “Midnight: Four KitKats.”
Tough times: Gary secretly battled bulimia following the split of his band Take That and previously admitted he ‘was trying to kill off the popstar’
‘That’s what it would look like. You’d be going: “You’re doing really well, James, this is fantastic. Why have you had nine Twix bars?” I’ll go: “Well, they were fun-size.”‘
Gary secretly battled bulimia following the split of his band Take That and previously admitted he ‘was trying to kill off the popstar’.
Speaking about his 17 stone weight in the wilderness years after Take That, the Rule The World hitmaker said: ‘Nine years [I stopped singing].
‘Just turned my back on it. I was trying to kill off the popstar, that’s what I was doing.
‘I was eating away what a popstar looked like. I was just killing him off. Stopped dying the hair, stopped buying nice clothes, just wanted to look the opposite, physically and mentally.’
Tough times: Speaking about his 17 stone weight in the wilderness years after Take That, the Rule The World hitmaker said: ‘Nine years [I stopped singing]
The talented musician revealed: ‘2003 – it was the day when I just went, “No, I’m not having this anymore, I’m going to change. I want to change and I’m determined that this is not who I’ve become.”
‘It only took a few years to get that low, but it took me years to get back to who I wanted to be. 10 years probably.
‘The fight back up is much harder than the one going down.’
He went onto confess on the ITV daytime show: ‘In some ways it sort of needed to happen.
‘I had that ridiculous 90s period where the ego was just getting bigger and you just think, “There’s only one way back from this and it was down”.’
Friends: James also admitted that he has recently realised that he has to retrain his mind into thinking ‘this will be forever now’ when going on diets (pictured with Gary in 2015)
Source: Read Full Article