Harry and Meghan ‘never wanted to appear on Buckingham Palace balcony’, pal says
Prince Harry and his wife Meghan Markle told the Queen that they never wanted a place on the Buckingham Palace balcony as part of her Platinum Jubilee celebration, claims a pal of the couple.
However, the couple did insist on being able to attend Her Majesty’s Thanksgiving service, according to reports.
The Queen is due to mark 70 years on the throne next month, with the Duke and Duchess of Sussex confirming they will return to the UK for the four day-long celebration along with their children Archie, 3, and Lilibet, who is due to turn one over the long Jubilee weekend on 4 June.
Queen Elizabeth, 96, announced earlier this month only working royals could appear on the balcony on 2 June as part of the celebration — effectively ruling out Harry and Meghan who had chosen to relinquish their royal duties when they emigrated to America.
But according to the pair’s biographer and friend Omid Scobie, who penned the couple's biography Finding Freedom, the couple denied that they were “cut” from the balcony line-up and from the Trooping the Colour procession which marks the monarch’s birthday.
Writing for Yahoo news, Omid said Harry had “spoken with his grandmother about the possibility of not attending Trooping the Colour long before last week’s announcements”.
The Sussexes had reportedly considered their appearance at such an event “inappropriate” as they were no longer working royals, he added.
The author went on to say that both Harry and Meghan were still “keen”, however, to be part of the Jubilee and to attend the service on 3 June.
Alongside a slate of activities to celebrate the Jubilee, an ITV television special will celebrate the occasion featuring a wealth of famous faces including Hollywood heavyweights Tom Cruise and Dame Helen Mirren, alongside British icons such as Alan Titchmarsh and Andrew Lloyd Webber and Ant and Dec.
Presented by Phillip Schofield and Julie Etchingham, the special programme charting all of the colour, music and appreciative joy of The Queen’s 70 year-long reign will be shown on Sunday 15 May at 8pm on ITV.
Meanwhile, Alan Titchmarsh hosted the live coverage of the Royal Windsor Horse Show this weekend.
Speaking ahead of the event, which kicks off the Queen's Jubilee celebrations, he said: “I am presenting the entire pageant from Wednesday to Saturday and on the Sunday the fourth part which involves Her Majesty's horses and carriages.
“The Royal Mews has always been a place close to my heart – I used to ride quite a lot and have even ridden with the King's Troop Royal Horse Artillery in their famous gun-carriage exercise. Scary but wonderfully thrilling! I know how much skill it takes to achieve such astonishing horsemanship.”
Bringing together a wealth of musicians, singers, pageantry, horse work, and contributors from all across the Commonwealth, the elaborate spectacle also included glimpses back through history performed by Dame Helen and Tom Cruise to name just a few of the stars taking part.
“Tom Cruise and I are not a natural pairing, but I'm all for breaking the mould,” joked Alan.
“I know Adjoa Andoh and some of the other presenters and I suspect we are all just grateful to have been asked to participate. It will be the most spectacular evening and I suspect we'll all just be anxious to get it right.”
For all the latest royal stories, sign up for OK! 's daily newsletter here .
Source: Read Full Article