I'm A Celeb ex-stars Charlie Brooks and Joey Essex 'leave Wales'
I’m A Celebrity ex-stars Charlie Brooks and Joey Essex ‘head home after plans for return were axed… amid claims ITV spent £500K on 10 former campmates isolating in Wales for two weeks’
- ITV reportedly spent £500,000 on isolating 10 celebrities just in case the production was hit with any coronavirus issues
- As well as Charlie and Joey, former stars Vicky Pattison and Joe Swash were also said to be going to return to this year’s I’m A Celebrity for a challenge
- Despite the apparent change of plans Joey, 30, appeared to be in good spirits as he carried a selection of yellow shirts while walking to a car in Wales on Friday
- Actress Charlie, 39, was also seen arriving back at her home after a reported stint in Wales, with her also donning a yellow top and carrying a hat
- The stars were believed to be isolating at a selection of luxury cottages in Anglesey, with many of the locations reportedly being guarded by security
- Among those said to have prepared for a possible stint in the castle are Carol Vorderman, 59, who took part back in 2016, and Phil Tufnell, 54, who was declared King of the Jungle in 2003
It had been reported that they could be making a cameo appearance in the current series of I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out Of Here!
And former contestants Charlie Brooks and Joey Essex have now reportedly been seen heading home from Wales after plans for their TV return was allegedly axed after they spent two weeks in isolation.
It comes amid claims that ITV spent £500,000 on isolating 10 celebrities just in case the production was hit with any coronavirus issues, reports The Sun On Sunday.
Heading out: Joey Essex was seen leaving a cottage in Anglesey on Friday amid reports TV bosses had ‘axed plans for former stars to make a cameo on this year’s I’m A Celebrity’
As well as Charlie and Joey, former stars Vicky Pattison and Joe Swash were also said to be going to return to this year’s I’m A Celebrity for a challenge.
Despite the apparent change of plans Joey, 30, appeared to be in good spirits as he carried a selection of yellow shirts while walking to a car in Wales on Friday.
The TV personality wrapped up warm in a black padded jacket and beamed a smile as he headed home after spending some time in Wales.
Actress Charlie, 39, was also seen arriving back at her home after a reported stint in Wales, with her also donning a yellow top and carrying a hat.
Home time: Charlie Brooks was another celeb thought to have been sent home from isolation in Wales after the plans reportedly changed (pictured arriving back at her home on Friday)
The stars were believed to be isolating at a selection of luxury cottages in Anglesey, with many of the locations reportedly being guarded by security.
It has also been reported that ITV spent £500,000 on isolating 10 celebrities, with them each allegedly earning a £50,000 fee to quarantine for two weeks.
The former contestants would have also got another fee if they appeared on the show, reports The Sun On Sunday.
Among those said to have prepared for a possible stint in the castle are Carol Vorderman, 59, who took part back in 2016, and Phil Tufnell, 54, who was declared King of the Jungle in 2003.
Over: Charlie was helped with her bags as she carried a yellow hat and walked inside
Time to go: Joey also had some assistance as he headed out from Wales. It is not known why the stars were sent home
A TV insider told the publication: ‘The celebs weren’t given much information, but the £50,000 price tag was obviously very attractive at a time when there isn’t much TV work due to Covid.
‘They were treated like kings and queens in luxury accommodation, with their every need looked after.’
TV execs are also thought to have used codenames for the ten celebrities in an effort to keep their identities a secret, allegedly referring to Vicky as Gravy and Phil as Cat.
Although isolating for the fortnight, the celebrities reportedly got to bring their partners with them into luxury homes and had all their meals paid for.
A representative for I’m A Celebrity declined to comment when approached by MailOnline.
Isolation pad? The stars were believed to be isolating at a selection of luxury cottages in Anglesey, with many of the locations reportedly being guarded by security
Rural: Another house believed to be used for the celebs isolation period was surrounded by countryside and open space
Charlie appeared on I’m A Celeb back in 2012 while Joey had his own stint in the jungle in 2013, with them both proving very popular with viewers.
Although it had been rumoured they would be appearing on this year’s show, it’s now thought they will not be travelling to the castle for the new series, with sources claiming it’s not known why they were sent home.
They told The Sun: ‘It was never clear exactly what role the four stars would play on the series, but it’s obvious they’d been chosen as they were among the most popular former contestants.
‘They were being prepared through isolation to ensure there was no risk of them bringing coronavirus on to the set and infecting the other celebrities or the crew and causing chaos.
Precautions: Blue toilet cubicles could also be seen outside one of the reported properties in an apparent effort to try and keep staff and celebs from mixing as much as possible
‘But it’s not clear why Joe, Vicky, Charlie and Joey haven’t made it to the final stage and walked through the castle gates to join the other celebrities.’
It’s also thought the stars involved weren’t told what their involvement in I’m A Celebrity would be when they entered isolation, but will still receive their fees.
It was previously reported that producers were discussing plans to have former stars spend a night in the camp or present a challenge, and Vicky, Charlie, Joey and Joe were advised to pack the relevant clothing and be ready in short notice.
Nice stay? Another luxury cottage thought to have housed a celeb boasted a relaxing decking area and large outdoor space
Elsewhere it was reported on Saturday that I’m A Celebrity will still feature the iconic Cyclone trial, despite the series relocating from Australia to Wales.
The challenge has been a series fixture since 2006, with celebrities tasked with moving oversized stars while being hit by hoses, fans and enormous balls.
A source told The Sun: ‘This often took place in the heat of the Australian jungle which meant it could easily be staged outside where it needs huge amounts of space.
Not making a reprise! Charlie appeared on I’m A Celebrity back in 2012 and it had been reported that the former star could host a trial during the current season
Cancelled: The stars (Joey pictured in 2013) were said to have spent a fortnight in quarantine in Wales ahead of a hoped appearance in Gwrych Castle
Back to the show! It had been reported that former I’m A Celebrity stars including Joe Swash (pictured) were returning to the show, either for a night in camp or to host a challenge
‘That left fans wondering if building something similar in Gwrych Castle in Wales might be impossible, because of the freezing temperatures and the limited room inside the building and its grounds.
‘But it seems producers, who are determined to ensure the British equivalent is just as fun as the one Down Under, have found a way to make it happen.’
Earlier this month it was reported stars including Vicky, Joe and Charlie would be returning to I’m A Celebrity for a guest appearance, either by heading into the camp itself or hosting a challenge.
At the time Charlie was pictured taking luggage into a blacked-out people carrier that went to Abergele in Wales.
A source told The Sun: ‘What better way to celebrate 20 series of the show than getting some of the stars of yesteryear to take part in some way?
‘As always with the jungle, they’re keeping their cards close to their chest and have yet to decide exactly what they will do with Charlie, Vicky and Joey, but it could be any number of things.
‘They told them they had to spend some time isolating, just like this year’s contestants have done, ahead of being taken up to Wales.’
Sensational: Elsewhere it was reported on Saturday that I’m A Celebrity will still feature the iconic Cyclone trial, despite the series relocating from Australia to Wales (Andy Whyment is pictured doing the trial last year)
Source: Read Full Article