John Barrowman seen for the first time since exposing himself scandal
PICTURED: John Barrowman is seen for the first time since being removed from Doctor Who live event after exposing himself on set – as his Torchwood audio drama is pulled
- The actor was removed from a Doctor Who live event this week where he was meant to reprise the role of Captain Jack Harkness in a pre-recorded piece
- It comes after it was revealed that a Torchwood audio drama, which starred Barrowman, 54, has also been pulled amid the allegations
- Last week the actor apologised for exposing himself but insisted showing his penis was all in good humour
- He said: ‘With the benefit of hindsight I understand upset may have been caused’
- Barrowman’s co-star Noel Clarke, 45, has been at the centre of new claims this time during Doctor Who spell
- Some 20 women accused Clarke of sexual harassment, groping and bullying Clarke has said he ‘vehemently denies’ sexual misconduct or criminal behaviour
John Barrowman has been pictured for the first time since being dropped from a Doctor Who live event after he admitted to exposing himself on the set of the show.
The actor, 54, looked tense as he was seen in his hometown of Palm Springs, California, on Wednesday.
It comes after it was revealed that a Torchwood audio drama, which starred Barrowman, has been pulled amid the allegations.
Dressed casually in a white Ralph Lauren T-shirt, navy shorts and trainers he was seen heading out to buy an iced coffee from Starbucks.
Pictured: John Barrowman has been pictured for the first time since being dropped from a Doctor Who live event after he admitted exposing himself on the set of the show
Later in the day, he had changed into a navy shirt and donned a face mask as he stopped off to fill his car.
It’s the first time Barrowman has been seen since being removed from an upcoming Doctor Who event.
He was meant to reprise the role of Captain Jack Harkness in a pre-recorded piece for the show Doctor Who: Time Fracture, which is due to go live later the month after repeated delays because of coronavirus.
While on Friday, Big Finish Productions, which produces audio dramas, said they had pulled an upcoming Torchwood audio drama – Torchwood: Absent Friends – which was due to be released this month.
In the audio drama, Barrowman’s Captain Jack was set to reunite with the Doctor, played by David Tennant. He previously played the role between 2005 and 2010.
Keeping a straight face: The actor, 54, looked tense as he was seen in his hometown of Palm Springs, California, on Wednesday
Low-key outing: Dressed casually in a white Ralph Lauren T-shirt, navy shorts and trainers he was seen heading out to buy an iced coffee from Starbucks
They told Metro in a statement: ‘We only have one upcoming title featuring John Barrowman – Torchwood: Absent Friends. We have no plans to publish this title at this time.’
Barrowman last week told the Guardian his ‘high-spirited behaviour’ was ‘only ever intended in good humour’ to entertain colleagues on set and backstage – and not sexual harassment.
Nonetheless, after reports of him exposing himself from 2008 surfaced, he was removed from the event, with a statement on its website reading: ‘Immersive Everywhere have taken the decision to remove [John Barrowman’s] pre record from Doctor Who: Time Fracture.
‘We will continue to include content that pays tribute to this brilliant show that is Torchwood so as not to disappoint its fans, and are working on an exciting storyline to be announced soon.’
Sombre: The star no doubt had plenty on his mind as he was seen striding into the coffee shop with a tense expression
First sighting: It marked the first time Barrowman has been pictured since it emerged that he would expose himself on the Doctor Who set
Change of clothes: Later in the day, he had changed into a navy shirt and donned a face mask as he stopped off to fill his car
It comes after his former co-star Noel Clarke was filmed making jokes about Barrowman showing people his penis ‘every five seconds’ and ‘hitting it on everything’.
‘With the benefit of hindsight, I understand that upset may have been caused by my exuberant behaviour and I have apologised for this previously,’ Barrowman said last week.
‘Since my apology in November 2008, my understanding and behaviour have also changed.’
Removed: The outing came after he was removed from the role of Captain Jack Harkness (pictured) in a pre-recorded piece for the show Doctor Who: Time Fracture, a Torchwood audio drama featuring him has since also been pulled
Fans demanded to know what writer and producer Russell T Davies knew about allegations of inappropriate behaviour, as Clarke was accused of harassing at least two women while on the show.
But Davies told the Guardian he never saw Barrowman expose himself nor did anyone complain to him about Clarke’s conduct. He later worked with Barrowman on sci-fi spin-off Torchwood.
He said: ‘I apologise wholeheartedly to any cast or crew who went through this. All power to those coming forward now – we will listen to them, and learn’.
Humour? Barrowman last week told the Guardian his ‘high-spirited behaviour’ was ‘only ever intended in good humour’ to entertain colleagues on set and backstage
Taken off: Nonetheless, after reports of him exposing himself surfaced, he was removed from the Doctor Who event
Last month, on the day Clarke was accused of being a ‘sexual predator’ by 20 women, a video of him emerged showing him on stage during a Doctor Who Q&A with fans where he joked about Barrowman’s alleged proclivity for getting his penis out on set.
Barrowman apologised publicly after a similar incident on BBC Switch.
Clarke’s two female co-stars Annette Badland and Camille Coduri are seen as he uses microphone as a prop phallus, hitting them on their legs and even resting it on Camille’s shoulders, with viewers saying they were ‘squirming while watching’.
Clarke says: ‘For the record, any men out there, do not try that at work. You will be fired and possibly go to jail.’
Resurfaced: Last month video footage of Noel Clarke at a convention resurfaced in which he joked about co-star Barrowman exposing himself. He used a microphone as a phallus (pictured)
Clarke – who is accused of inappropriate behaviour towards 20 women over 14 years – was last week at the centre of further allegations he sexually harassed or touched others on BBC hit Doctor Who.
The broadcaster appeared to be broadsided by the reports and said it would investigate specific claims made but was ‘shocked’ to hear of them.
Clarke, 45, is said to have told one costume assistant, who had long hair, working on series one of the rebooted sci-fi show he ‘liked girls with long hair’ so he could hold onto it when in a specific sexual position.
As seen on screen: Clarke also starred on Doctor Who alongside co-stars David Tenant and Billie Piper
Another female runner and driver on the show alleges Clarke touched her inappropriately and repeatedly asked her to go to his hotel for sex.
She told the Guardian she pleaded to the assistant director: ‘I can’t drive him anymore. I don’t want to be on my own with him.’
Noel Clarke: The Rags to riches Kidulthood star from Ladbrooke Grove who had ‘no choice’ but to write his own roles after realising he’d never land the jobs he wanted as a black actor
Noel Clarke always felt an outsider in the British film industry, claiming he wasn’t ever welcomed.
But just last month he was welcomed by Bafta and handed a Outstanding British Contribution to Cinema in London on April 10.
Clarke lives in the capital with his wife, former make-up artist Iris Da Silva, and their three children with an estimated fortune of £3million.
Noel rose to fame with the The Hood Trilogy, semi-biographical films about life in West London where he grew up.
He said recently he had to write his own roles after realising he’d never land the jobs he wanted as a black actor
From 2006-2016 Noel wrote, directed and starred in the acclaimed trilogy of films Kidulthood, Adulthood and Brotherhood.
The well-received movies follow a group of teenagers as they navigate life outside the law in Ladbroke Grove, West London.
Noel told Interview magazine: ‘I grew up in Ladbroke Grove… which sounds really glamorous now, but at the time it wasn’t very glamorous.’
‘In the ’60s and late ’50s, it was a place where they shoved a lot of the black people that were coming over.’
In 2007, Noel set up his own production company Unstoppable Entertainment to try and promote more diversity in the film and TV industry.
He started the venture with his fellow actor Jason Maza, 33, who he later collaborated with on the next series he wrote – Bulletproof, which starred himself and Ashley Walters.
The pair originally struggled to get the show commissioned and Noel told Sky News at the time he didn’t ‘think the country was ready’ for their positive depiction of two black lead characters.
Noel recently accepted his BAFTA Award after being praised for his TV show Bulletproof and the film series Kidulthood which sees black working class characters take centre stage.
The former Doctor Who star’s prize came after he received the Rising Star Award in 2009.
Despite his huge success, with his ITV series Viewpoint set to begin later this month, Noel said he still feels like an outsider in the industry.
He added: ‘This is about class. My films aren’t [deemed] worthy. They’re written, directed and acted by working-class people and they’re about working-class people… For 20 years, I’ve been made to feel like I do not belong.
‘The business has always tried to say I don’t belong and push me out. I won’t sit here and lay blame on people, because it’s here’ – at this point he taps his head – ‘but that’s part of what fuels me’.
Clarke denies any allegations of sexual misconduct, criminal wrongdoing or sexually inappropriate behaviour, including the latest accusations.
He was stripped of a Bafta award he was given earlier this month after the claims became public.
Doctor Who was where Clarke became a household name, playing the vehicle technician Mickey Smith from 2005 to 2010.
A statement from the BBC said: ‘The BBC is against all forms of inappropriate behaviour and we’re shocked to hear of these allegations.
‘To be absolutely clear, we will investigate any specific allegations made by individuals to the BBC – and if anyone has been subjected to or witnessed inappropriate behaviour of any kind we would encourage them to raise it with us directly.
‘We have a zero-tolerance approach and robust processes are in place – which are regularly reviewed and updated to reflect best practice – to ensure any complaints or concerns are handled with the utmost seriousness and care.’
Hundreds of members of the TV and film industry have signed an open letter demanding an end to the industry’s ‘sexist culture’ in the wake of allegations made against actor and producer Clarke.
The letter was written by freelance producer Meriel Beale, an officer for trade union Bectu, and signed by more than 980 figures including former Channel 4 commissioner Kelly Webb-Lamb and broadcasters Dermot O’Leary and Joe Lycett.
Other signatories include Sherlock actor Rupert Graves, actor Jim Sturgess and Adeel Amini, chair of industry org Coalition for Change.
It said: ‘After reading the Noel Clarke allegations, many of us within the TV and film industry started sharing our own stories of sexual harassment and sexual abuse.
‘His case is not a one-off and, shockingly, is not an extreme example. It has happened to so many of us that it seems normal.
‘It has happened to so many of us at the hands of men in positions of power within the industry – whether industry colleagues, presenters or actors.
‘It has happened in plain sight.’
The allegations against Clarke which were made public in the Guardian include that he secretly filmed a naked audition of actor Jahannah James and that he showed sexually explicit images of women to colleagues – both claims he denies.
The letter called on men to point out bad behaviour and for more women to hold senior positions in the industry.
It added: ‘We don’t want to be seen as ‘killjoys’ and we don’t want to anger the men into violence. It is a constant, terrifying tightrope. We are exhausted and we are angry.
‘All of this contributes to us being undervalued in TV. Many men won’t recognise or notice sexist micro-aggressions – the low-level hum of sexism – and many women will accept it as part of the culture. It has been normalised, but it is not normal.
We need more women in senior positions in TV and film. We need them to be allies and to be empowered to make real change.
‘We need older women and women with caring responsibilities so that this filters down throughout the industry.
‘We need women to be taken seriously. We need men to call out bad behaviour.’
In a statement issued last week, Clarke said: ‘I vehemently deny any sexual misconduct or criminal wrongdoing.
‘Recent reports however have made it clear to me that some of my actions have affected people in ways I did not intend or realise.
‘To those individuals, I am deeply sorry. I will be seeking professional help to educate myself and change for the better.’
MailOnline has approached the BBC and the Doctor Who: Time Fracture producers for comment.
Denial: Fans demanded to know what writer and producer Russell T Davies knew about allegations of inappropriate behaviour but he has denied having any knowledge
Source: Read Full Article