Katie Price’s ‘unbelievable’ sentence outrages families of drink-driving victims

Katie Price’s suspended sentence has angered the families of victims killed in drink-driving incidents, with one branding it a ‘mockery of the justice system’. 

The My Crazy Life star avoided prison with a judge instead handing down a 16-week suspended sentence, 100 hours of unpaid work, 20 sessions of rehab with probation, a two-year driving ban and fines following her drink-driving arrest in September. 

She was arrested for drink-driving while disqualified and without insurance following a crash near her home in Sussex. The mother-of-five admitted drink-driving, driving while disqualified and driving without insurance, with her sentencing being deferred following a stay in The Priory. 

The court’s decision to not jail Price has sparked outrage with those affected by drink-driving incidents calling for a harsher sentence. 

Kirsty Martell’s brother Frank was killed at the age of 21 in 2017 as a result of drink-driving. 

She told The Sun: ‘It’s a disgusting sentence. Price has escaped with just a slap on the wrist.


‘This is just another example of how drink-driving isn’t taken seriously until someone is killed.’ 

Martell added: ‘There must be much harsher penalties for drink-drivers to act as a severe deterrent to help avoid the tragedy that our family has gone through.’ 

Ceinwen Briddon also feels strongly about Price’s sentence; her daughter died in March 2014 when her Fiat Punto was hit by an over-the-limit driver. 

‘It is unbelievable really,’ she told the publication.

‘The fact is if she was already banned and then did it again it should have been an automatic jail sentence.

‘It makes a mockery of the whole justice system of this country. I cannot believe she has got away with this when she was banned.’ 

To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a webbrowser thatsupports HTML5video

Price, 43, released a statement on Thursday morning saying she was ‘incredibly sorry for [her] actions’. 

‘I’m sincerely grateful nobody was hurt – I realise the damage my actions could have caused not only to another family, but to my own as well,’ she wrote. 

‘I’m now spending time getting better – mental health is a [hidden] illness and can strike at any time. 

‘The triggers that cause my anxiety and behaviour are something I’m trying to understand, come to terms with, and learn to control moving forward. This will be a long process for myself and something I’ll continue to work on for the rest of my life.

She added: ‘It’s also something I can work on with my family so we can progress on a new chapter together.’ 

Price also thanked her friends and family, including mother Amy, sister Sophie and fiance Carl Woods, for supporting her throughout the case. 

Sophie had earlier defended her famous sibling when a critic questioned if she was ‘embarrassed’ by Price’s actions, and argued the former model has ‘taken responsibility’.

Got a story?

If you’ve got a celebrity story, video or pictures get in touch with the Metro.co.uk entertainment team by emailing us [email protected], calling 020 3615 2145 or by visiting our Submit Stuff page – we’d love to hear from you.

Source: Read Full Article