Kelvin Fletcher is CONFIRMED to replace Jamie Laing on Strictly

Emmerdale star Kelvin Fletcher is CONFIRMED to replace injured Jamie Laing on Strictly Come Dancing

  • Kelvin, 35, has been picked after Jamie was forced to drop out due to an injury
  • Jamie, 30, is said to have damaged the tendon in his right foot during training
  • Kelvin will be partnered with Jamie’s former partner Oti Mabuse on the show 
  • Strictly announced the news on their Instagram account on Saturday night 

Former Emmerdale star Kelvin Fletcher has been confirmed to replace injured Jamie Laing on Strictly Come Dancing.

The actor, 35, has been picked up by show bosses after the Made In Chelsea star was forced to drop out after sustaining a foot injury. 

Jamie, 30, is said to have damaged the tendon in his right foot after landing awkwardly during the pre-recorded launch show, filmed on Bank Holiday Monday last month. 

He’s in! Former Emmerdale star Kelvin Fletcher has been confirmed to replace injured Jamie Laing on Strictly Come Dancing

The show announced that Kelvin would be stepping in following Jamie’s exit on their Instagram account on Saturday night.

They said: ‘NEWS!: We are pleased to announce that actor Kelvin Fletcher will be joining #Strictly 2019, replacing Jamie Laing on the show.’ 

Kelvin will be partnered with Jamie’s former partner Oti Mabuse on the show. 

He was one of several celebrities in the running to replace Jamie, with the BBC series kicking off properly later this month. 

New project: The actor, 35, has been picked up by show bosses after the Made In Chelsea star was forced to drop out after sustaining a foot injury (pictured in Emmerdale in 2016)

Out: Jamie, 30, is said to have damaged the tendon in his right foot after landing awkwardly during the pre-recorded launch show, filmed on Bank Holiday Monday last month.

Ouch: Jamie, 30, is said to have damaged the tendon in his right foot after landing awkwardly during the pre-recorded launch show, filmed on Bank Holiday Monday last month

A source revealed to The Sun on Saturday: ‘Bosses are considering Kelvin carefully and think he has the mix of charisma and acting credentials to entertain viewers. 

‘Although it isn’t certain they will ask him, his chances are as good as anybody’s at the moment, especially since Jamie’s injury has come so close to the beginning of the series.

‘Kelvin quit Emmerdale to pursue other career prospects and few things are better at raising celebrity profiles than appearing on Strictly.’

MailOnline contacted representatives for Strictly Come Dancing for comment. 

In the running: ‘Bosses are considering Kelvin carefully and think he has the mix of charisma and acting credentials to entertain viewers’

It came after show host Tess Daly confirmed that Jamie will definitely be replaced on this year’s series.

She told The Metro: ‘There’s drama and we haven’t even started yet!

‘I can confirm there will be a replacement and I’ll find out on Sunday who that is. I think that’s when everybody will get the news but that’s when I find out, I know.’

Kelvin starred as hunky farmer Andy Sugden in Emmerdale for 20 years, departing in 2016 to pursue other opportunities.

Soapo hunk: Kelvin starred as hunky farmer Andy Sugden in Emmerdale for 20 years, departing in 2016 to pursue other opportunities

Other stars who were also tipped to replace Jamie included Emily Atack, Sam Allardyce, Vogue Williams, Scarlett Moffatt and Tim Lovejoy. 

Reality star was forced to pull out of Strictly Come Dancing 2019 after sustaining a foot injury during launch show rehearsals last month.

Days later the star was snapped hobbling around on crutches with his foot in a protective moon boot as the news of his injury came to light. 

And after much speculation about this future on the BBC show, Jamie later confirmed that he would not be taking part in this year’s Strictly Come Dancing. 

Out! After much speculation about this future on the BBC show, Jamie later confirmed that he would not be taking part in this year’s Strictly Come Dancing

He took to Instagram to upload a disappointed video message breaking the news, as the BBC released a statement. 

He said: ‘Hello everyone, I just wanted to give a quick update because it’s been released now. Because of my injury, I won’t be competing on Strictly this year, which is incredibly devastating and really upsetting.

‘But these things happen in life, and when they happen, you have to push forward and be positive.’

A rep for the show confirmed that: ‘Sadly, due to an injury, Jamie will no longer be able to take part in this year’s series.

Sad: The Made In Chelsea stalwart took to Instagram to upload a disappointed video message breaking the news, as the BBC released a statement [above] 

‘As the Strictly launch show is pre-recorded, Jamie will still feature in this programme which airs Saturday 7th September.’

Jamie added of the news: ‘I was so excited to hit the dance floor! I would like to wish the lovely couples all the very best and hope they enjoy their time on the show to the fullest.’

Executive Producer, Sarah James said: ‘We are so sad that Jamie won’t be able to take part in the series, he had already lit up the ballroom during the launch show with his boundless energy and enthusiasm. We all wish him a full and speedy recovery.’

The pre-recorded Strictly Come Dancing launch show airs Saturday at 7.10pm on BBC One, with the full series beginning on Saturday September 21st.

Such a shame: The injury happened during the pre-recorded launch show

Source: Read Full Article