Piers Morgan supports Chinas latest crackdown while bashing celebrity show-offs
Piers Morgan: Caller reveals he put presenter on colostomy bag
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Piers Morgan, 56, never misses an opportunity to hit out at his fellow celebrities who, in his words, “show off” their fortunes on social media. And when he learnt about China’s new crackdown on the entertainment industry, he was more than impressed with their decision.
I can’t stand celebrity show-offs
The former Good Morning Britain star was pleased to learn that the Cyberspace Administration of China had placed a a ban on celebrities “showing off wealth” or “extravagant pleasure” on social media.
After sharing an article on the crackdown by the MailOnline, the presenter added his own opinion to reiterate his distain for rich and famous boasters online.
“Thank goodness,” he breathed a sigh of relief.
“I can’t stand celebrity show-offs.”
Both celebrity and fan-club accounts in China must “follow public order and good customs, adhere to correct public opinion orientation and value orientation, promote socialist core values, and maintain a healthy style and taste,” the internet-regulation agency said in a statement on Tuesday.
The announcement follows the Chinese Communist Party’s crackdown on the country’s growing entertainment industry.
Officials aim to push back against celebrity scandals and online fan groups, as it believes they “cause social disorder”.
This week’s notice also prohibits celebrities from “spreading rumours, publishing false or private information, provoking fan groups to verbally attack each other”.
It went on to state that it is forbidden to encourage fans to partake in “illegal fundraising or irrational investment.”
However, in the comments section of Piers’ post, Twitter users took the opportunity to repost some of the TV star’s previous endeavours he has shared on his own social media platforms, pointing out the irony of his statement.
Kevrx retorted: “Says the guy that posts his photo with Ronaldo every two business days.”
Irishoverseas1 used one of Piers’ posts from earlier this month, where he took a snap of the British countryside on his flight back from New York, while thanking British Airways for looking after him.
“I hate it also…” he rolled his eyes.
Another echoed the user, reposting photos of the presenter’s luxury yacht he had shared with his followers.
Wilko201 also added: “How many followers do you have? How frequently do you brag about it?”
While ORohitO posted a photo of Piers proudly posing alongside his Aston Martin: “This you?”
But “show-off celebs” weren’t the only ones under Peirs’ microscope on Wednesday, as he also took aim at former ITV colleague Adil Ray, after he made a joke on GMB about his dramatic walk-out on the show.
The journalist accused Adil of “helping to destroy” the ratings he had built up before his sudden departure earlier this year.
Taking to Twitter, Piers shared an article about Adil’s swipe at him with his 7.9 million followers.
He captioned the tweet: “Hmmm. Given how Mr Ray has helped destroy GMB’s ratings since I left, if I were him I’d probably avoid mocking the guy who took them to record heights…”
It is true that in June, the ITV show’s viewing figures slumped from 1.9m to 450k after Piers’ exit back in March.
However, one month later on June 28, Susanna Reid celebrated ratings peaking at 1.2 million viewers, which was a 20% improvement from the same time last year.
Source: Read Full Article