Girl catches deadly infection trying on shoes while barefoot

A four-year-old was left fighting for her life after developing deadly sepsis from trying on new shoes.

Sienna Rasul became seriously ill the day after trying different sized shoes on her bare feet.

Little Sienna was later diagnosed with sepsis, which doctors believe she may have picked up from bacteria in the shoes.

The deadly condition can be passed on if bacteria enters the body through an open wound.

Doctors think it’s likely Sienna had a cut, graze or bite on her foot that allowed the bacteria to enter her body.

Sienna spent five days on a drip in the hospital with her mom Jodie Thomas, 26, by her side.

Hotel worker Jodie said: “I was really shocked when the doctors said it was from trying on new shoes.

“I’ve been worried sick, they’ve had to drain all the poison from her leg.

“Normally she would have socks on but it’s summertime so she was wearing sandals.

“The shoes she liked had been tried on by other little girls and that’s how Sienna picked up the infection.”

Mom-of-three Jodie took Sienna to the doctors when she started crying in agony the day after the shopping trip.

The doctor spotted the infection and used a pen to draw a line around where the infection had spread.

Jodie, of Aberfan, South Wales, said: “By the next day it had spread up her leg and her temperature was raging.

“I drove her straight into hospital, she was shaking and twitching — it was horrible to see my little girl like that.

“They said it was sepsis and thought they would have to operate.

“But the doctors have managed to drain all the pus from her leg and say the anti-biotic drip will do the job.”

Sienna, has now been allowed home from the children’s ward at Prince Charles Hospital in Merthyr Tydfil but she is still being monitored.

Jodie is urging parents to make sure their children have socks on when they are trying on shoes.

“I knew you risk getting things like athlete’s foot from trying on shoes but blood poisoning is far more serious,” she said.

“You don’t know whose feet have been in the shoes before you.

“Sienna has been really ill, the infection was moving up her leg and spreading to the rest of her body.

“I’m so glad I got her to the hospital quickly.

“With mums and dads doing back-to-school shopping I would advise them to take a spare pair of socks with them.”

Dr. Ron Daniels, chief executive of the UK Sepsis Trust said: “This frightening case shows us that sepsis strikes indiscriminately and can affect anyone at any time.”

Daniels said it was likely Sienna already had a “breach” in her skin, either a graze or a bite.

“Whenever there are signs of infection, it’s crucial that members of the public seek medical attention urgently and just ask: “Could it be sepsis?” he added.

“Better awareness could save thousands of lives every year.”

Source: Read Full Article