What businesses and non-essential shops are open in Tier 4?
MILLIONS of Brits will be plunged into a Tier 4 lockdown from tomorrow.
Prime Minister Boris Johnson made the announcement this afternoon, in a bid to curb the latest rise in Covid cases.
It means the closure of non-essential retail shops, hairdressers and nail salons in a bid to stop the spread.
Anew strain of the deadly virus is blamed for a sudden surge in hospitalisations and The Sun understands evidence shows a dramatic hike in positive cases in London in the past week.
Boris has been trying to save Christmas, insisting Brits would be able to meet with their families thanks to the planned bubbles.
London and parts of the south East are in Tier 4, which means Christmas has been cancelled for millions of people.
Christmas bubbles in Tier 4 areas have been cancelled and there is a "stay at home" message, asking people not to leave homes.
It comes as….
- Boris Johnson today cancelled Christmas for millions as he put London, the South East and East in Tier 4 lockdown
- The new variant strain of the virus which causes Covid-19 may be up to 70% more transmissible – and could increase the R value by 0.4
- All Brits have been told to stay local during the festive season
- Christmas bubbles in Tiers 1, 2 and 3 have been cut to just 24 hours on December 25
- Non-essential shops and gyms in Tier 4 areas must be closed from midnight
- Those in Tier 4 will be able to meet only one other person outdoors – but must not stay overnight from home
What non-essential shops are open in Tier 4?
Here is the list of non-essential shops that remained open in the lockdown in November.
The government hasn't released the official list of shops that can stay open in Tier 4 but we will update this story when it does..
But the Prime Minister said this afternoon that measures would be broadly similar to those in place in November's lockdown.
When the UK was plunged into a second nationwide lockdown in November, the essential included:
- Convenience stores
- Food markets
- Corner shops
- Takeaways and food deliveries
- Off licenses and licensed shops selling alcohol (including breweries)
- Pharmacies and chemists
- Hardware stores
- Building merchants and building services
- Petrol stations
- Car repair and MOT services
- Bicycle shops
- Taxi or vehicle hire businesses
- Building societies
- Credit unions
- Short term loan providers
- Savings clubs
- Cash points
- Currency exchanges
- Money transfer shops
- Post offices
- Funeral directors
- Laundrettes and dry cleaners
- Dental services
- Hearing services
- Mental health services
- Pet shops
- Agricultural supplies shop
- Storage and distribution facilities
- Car parks
- Public toilets
- Garden centres
- Retail shops in hospitals
Which areas are in Tier 4?
This is the list of areas which are in Tier 4 from tomorrow.
Surrey (excluding Waverley)
The boroughs of Gosport, Havant, Portsmouth, Rother and Hastings
All 32 London boroughs and the city of London.
Bedford, Central Bedfordshire, Milton Keynes, Luton, Peterborough
Essex (excluding Colchester, Uttlesford and Tendring)
Scientists have found this new strain of Covid-19 spreads faster than the original strain of the virus.
The new variant that has been found predominantly in Kent and neighbouring areas – but has spread as far as Scotland.
Source: Read Full Article