Artist and designer shares her tips for adding colour to your home
The Colour Doctor will see you now
- Listen to your own responses when it comes to colour, rather than recreating other people’s taste. Stick to a limited palette and use all those colours in different proportions in all the rooms of your home for a cohesive scheme.
- Worried about painting a whole room in a bold shade? Start with the doors, or even just the door frames. This will lift the space and is quick and simple to do. It’s also easy to return to neutral if you are a renter.
- Paint your front door and hang a spring wreath on it. Bright yellow and baby pink are really popular at the moment.
- Try painting a mural. Simply painting a big, arched shape on a section of wall in a bright colour can be incredibly effective.
- Paint a piece of old furniture in your favourite shade — or use up some leftover paint.
- Removable washi tape adds an injection of colour to the edges of furniture or doors.
- Wrap kitchen counter tops or splashbacks in removable vinyl, which can be found in all sorts of fabulous colours. Cheap — and a great solution if you’re renting.
- Colourful rugs transform a room. A couple of small scatter rugs can make a big difference.
- Paint existing wall tiles with specialist tile paint. If you’re a renter, you can now get fantastic removable tiles to stick on the current ones.
- Don’t limit wallpaper to walls — add to the back of a shelving unit, the front of a chest of drawers, varnishing on top, or paper the ceiling instead.
Anna’s top tips:
- Invest in some good-quality faux flowers and foliage to bring in a touch of spring.
- Use leftover paint to update furniture or accessories. I used the green from my kitchen to paint the edge of the old Ikea desk in my bedroom. The two rooms are next to each other, so it provides a lovely link.
- Get yourself some coloured glass. It brings a beautiful, luminous quality to a space.
- Ceilings don’t have to be white. Painting them the same colour as the walls, or a bright, contrasting colour, creates a dramatic wow factor.
How to get your Metro newspaper fix
Metro newspaper is still available for you to pick up every weekday morning or you can download our app for all your favourite news, features, puzzles… and the exclusive evening edition!
Download the Metro newspaper app for free on App Store and Google Play
Source: Read Full Article