Jeopardy! champion James Holzhauer slams disgraced Mike Richards after ex host is fired as EP

JEOPARDY! champion James Holzhauer slammed disgraced Mike Richards after the former host was fired as the executive producer of the game show.

The 37-year-old took to Twitter to share his thoughts on Mike on Tuesday.


Mike, 46, was fired as the host of Jeopardy! after old comments he made on his podcast resurfaced, while he was more recently dropped as the show’s executive producer.

James made it clear Mike shouldn’t be associated with the show, writing: “Do I think Mike Richards’s podcast comments were appropriate for polite society? No. But did he deserve the benefit of the doubt for the job he did running Jeopardy? Also no.”

The fan favorite contestant is best known for his 32-game winning streak on Jeopardy!

James is one of the show’s top-three winners alongside Ken Jennings and Brad Rutter.

In addition to their impressive reigns on the game show, the trio make up the cast of ABC’s series Jeopardy! The Greatest of All Time.

MIKE'S DOWNFALL

After Mike announced that he was stepping down as the host of the hit game show, he shared his plans to continue on as an executive producer.

However, EVP Suzanne Prete confirmed that on Tuesday that Mike has stepped down from his roles, adding that the decision was "effective immediately."

"We had hopes that when Mike stepped down from the host position at Jeopardy! it would have minimized the disruption and internal difficulties we have all experienced these last few weeks," Prete said. "That clearly has not happened."

In a statement explaining he resigned from his position as host, Mike said: "I was deeply honored to be asked to host the syndicated show and was thrilled by the opportunity to expand my role.

"However, over the last several days it has become clear that moving forward as host would be too much of a distraction for our fans and not the right move for the show."

The statement concluded: "I want to apologize to each of you for the unwanted negative attention that has come to Jeopardy! over the last few weeks and for the confusion and delays this is now causing.

"I know I have a lot of work to do to regain your trust and confidence." 

Mike was previously named the new Jeopardy! host alongside actress Mayim Bialik earlier this month following Alex Trebek's death back in 2020.

WHAT DID MIKE SAY?

The quiz show host landed himself in hot water over controversial comments he had made about his co-host Beth Triffon during The Randumb Show podcast.

The podcast, which ran from 2013 to 2014, gave fans a behind-the-scenes look at The Price Is Right.

According to The Ringer, Beth – who served as his co-host/former assistant – said she worked as a model at the CES during the episode.

Mike then mocked Beth as a “booth ho,” “booth s**t,” and “boothstitute.”

In another episode, Mike made comments about a photo of Beth and her friends.

He called the group “really frumpy and overweight” and claimed “they all look terrible in the picture… they look fat and not good in the picture."

Following the backlash, Mike broke his silence with a statement through Sony.

'NO EXCUSE'

The former TV host said: "It is humbling to confront a terribly embarrassing moment of misjudgment, thoughtlessness, and insensitivity from nearly a decade ago.

"Looking back now, there is no excuse, of course, for the comments I made on this podcast and I am deeply sorry."

He added: "The podcast was intended to be a series of irreverent conversations between longtime friends who had a history of joking around."

"Even with the passage of time, it’s more than clear that my attempts to be funny and provocative were not acceptable, and I have removed the episodes."

Earlier this month, rumors began to spread that he had also contributed to "toxic" behavior on The Price Is Right set.



    Source: Read Full Article