2 critically injured in Chinatown apartment building fire

An elderly woman and her home health aid were in critical condition Wednesday after a massive fire ripped through a Chinatown apartment building.

The three-alarm blaze was sparked inside 113 Mott Street around 12:42 p.m., and took more than 150 smoke eaters nearly two hours to bring under control, according to FDNY Deputy Assistant Chief Michael Gala.

It started on the third floor, but quickly spread to the top of the four-story building, he said.

A video posted to Twitter shows smoke billowing from the structure, which has a grocery store on its ground level and apartments above.

The building has been evacuated, but a 90-year-old woman and her 40-year-old home health aide who were found in a rear bathroom were taken to NYU Downtown Hospital in serious condition, according to fire officials.

“I saw them carry out the two people. I don’t know how they are now, but it looked bad. A fire like that, I’m surprised anyone could survive,” said witness Stella Gong, 72, who lives across the street.

Narrow stairs and a “very heavy clutter condition” proved an additional hurdle for firefighters, Gala noted.

Source: Read Full Article