Boy, 7, swallows an AIRPOD he got as a Christmas gift

Boy, 7, swallows an AIRPOD he got as a Christmas gift and is rushed to the ER where doctors decide to let it make its way out of his system on its own

  • A seven-year-old boy accidentally swallowed an Apple AirPod he received for Christmas 
  • The boy’s mother said she rushed to the emergency room in Atlanta, Georgia, after his grandmother revealed the shocking news
  • X-Ray photos show the AirPod inside the boy’s stomach just below the rib cage
  •  Doctors say the AirPod will naturally pass through the boy’s body 

A seven-year-old Georgia boy was rushed to the emergency room after swallowing part of a AirPod wireless headphone set he received as a Christmas present.  

Kiara Stroud, the 2nd grader’s mother, received the shocking news while delivering mail for her job with USPS when her mother suddenly called her on December 27. 

‘She was like, “Okay, so QJ just choked on his AirPod”, and I’m like what?’ Stroud told WSB-TV. 

Her son was reportedly holding one of the AirPods in his mouth by the long part when he accidentally gulped the headset into his stomach.

Pictured: X-Ray photos show part of an Apple AirPod headset lodged inside a 7-year-old boy’s stomach after he accidentally swallowed it on December 27 

‘I immediately U-turned my truck,’ Stroud said, recalling how she raced to Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta Egelston. 

In a Facebook post, Stroud reveals that she ‘drove [her] mail truck back on 2 wheels crying like a baby.’

Once at the emergency room, X-Ray photos of QJ’s stomach show the AirPod lodged just below the rib cage.

Stroud said: ‘We actually saw it because it has metal in it, so we could see it in the X-ray and I’m like, “This boy really swallowed his AirPod!”‘  

According to Stroud, the doctor at Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta Egelston had no idea what an AirPod was and was taken aback at the ordeal. 

‘She was like, “An AirPod? You know, it’s really unique. I never really heard of this,” and I’m like, “Yeah, it’s a wireless headset,” and she was just amazed. I’ve never seen anything like it,’ she said.  

Kiara Stroud (right) said the family did not ‘yell at him, didn’t curse, didn’t ask why, didn’t tell him he was too old, didn’t shame him, and didn’t make the situation worse’ when QJ (left) was taken to the ER 

Pictured: an Apple AirPod wireless headphone set similar to the one QJ received for Christmas 

Stroud remained adamant that they wouldn’t shame QJ for the surprising mistake. 

‘Today, we didn’t yell at him, didn’t curse, didn’t ask why, didn’t tell him he was too old, didn’t shame him, and didn’t make the situation worse,’ Stroud said in a Facebook post.  

‘He already felt bad. He was scared and nervous. We let him know that everything was going to be okay, stayed calm, and it helped him to relax so that the doctors could do their jobs,’ she continued. 

Although the boy was ‘very nervous’ about getting in trouble, he was even more worried about how doctors would remove the stuck AirPod. 

Doctors told QJ (pictured) that he would not need surgery and the AirPod would naturally pass through his system

Luckily, doctors assured the family that the AirPod would pass through QJ’s body on its own in a few days and the boy had nothing to worry about. 

Still, Stroud said QJ didn’t want to be anywhere near his phone in case the AirPod  unexpectedly connected and began playing music. 

Stroud said: ‘He was like, “Mom. I don’t want my phone,” because he got a phone for Christmas as well, and he’s like, “I don’t want to be near my phone. I don’t want it to connect to my phone and start playing music.” I’m like, “Oh my God.” He’s a crazy kid.’  

Stroud told WSB-TV that she’ll probably stick with old-fashioned, wired headsets until her son was a bit older.  

Source: Read Full Article