Cleaner reveals horrifying conditions inside elderly couple's home

The home so filthy that it’s declared a BIOHAZARD: Cleaner reveals horrifying conditions inside elderly couple’s home with no running water or gas and filled with piles of rubbish because of ’20 years of hoarding’

  • George Mensah, 58, revealed the conditions of a Liverpool couple’s home so filthy it was declared ‘biohazard’
  • The clearance professional said home had no running water, forcing its occupants to manually empty toilet 
  • After seven days of work Mr Mensah advised the elderly couple to cut their losses and auction the property 

A professional cleaner has revealed horrifying photos of a rat-infested house swamped in chest-high piles of rubbish that was so filthy it was declared a ‘biohazard’.

George Mensah, 58, who runs Merseyside House Clearance, shared clips of the disgusting property in Liverpool, which was lived in by an elderly couple who ‘hoarded for 20 years’ and had no running water or gas.

He said the occupants emptied the toilet by hand and some rooms were completely inaccessible because of how high the rubbish piled up.

Mr Mensah was called to help in early February after a man discovered the stomach-turning conditions his elderly parents had been living in.

He said the entire three-bedroom home was piled high with ‘junk’ and rubbish – sometimes up to chest-height in places – and ravaged with flies and maggots.

The occupants had refused to allow their children to visit them at home for years and insisted on meeting up in public places, hiding the mess piling up in their home.

Professional cleaner George Mensah (pictured), 58, who runs Merseyside House Clearance, shared clips of the house in Liverpool, swallowed by 20 years of hoarding, in ‘one of the worst jobs’ he has ever tackled

The home so horrifyingly tipped in rubbish it was declared a ‘biohazard’ has been revealed in shocking footage of its mouldy, grime-covered interior

Mr Mensah was called to help in early February after a man discovered the stomach-turning conditions his elderly parents had been living in

But when the father was rushed to hospital, paramedics were forced to enter the property and discovered the shocking living conditions before making the family aware.

Paramedics allegedly branded the home a ‘biohazard’ and warned that the ill old man was at risk of catching sepsis or other infections due to the unclean environment.

The cleaner says the elderly couple’s son was horrified to see the state of the property when they both entered it together for the first time.

Paramedics allegedly branded the home a ‘biohazard’ and warned that the ill old man who lived in it was at risk of catching sepsis or other infections due to the unclean environment

Mr Mensah said occupants emptied the toilet by hand as there was no running water in the property and some rooms were completely inaccessible because of how high the trash piled up, with rats infesting the home

The house didn’t even have any running water or gas, forcing the couple to live off water bottles, a portable cooker, electric heaters and having to manually empty the toilet.

After seven days of working through the filth, the house still remained uninhabitable due to the extensive damage, so Mr Mensah advised the family to cut their losses and auction the house.

The family was forced to leave most of their possessions – which were largely ruined – behind as they ‘walked away with nothing’, the clearance professional added. 

He said: ‘The place stunk and there were flies and maggots everywhere. It was absolutely terrible. There was stagnant water and milk bottles that had separated with sour milk in them behind the front door.

‘On the hoarding scale it was a ten – you can’t get anything in there at all. It was definitely one of the worst ones I’ve done.

‘You can’t open the doors because they put their arm in and throw things into the room so it’s like an avalanche when you try to open it.

The home didn’t even have any running water or gas, forcing the couple to live off water bottles, a portable cooker, electric heaters and having to manually empty the toilet


After seven days of working through the filth, the house still remained uninhabitable due to the extensive damage, so Mr Mensah advised the family to cut their losses and auction the house

Mr Mensah said: ‘The place stunk and there were flies and maggots everywhere. It was absolutely terrible. There was stagnant water and milk bottles that had separated with sour milk in them behind the front door’

‘It was all just junk. There was some good quality stuff like a coffee machine but it was just absolutely ruined and contaminated.

‘We were breaking things as we were going in because there was nowhere to stand. In the living room it was up to chest height.

‘There was dust everywhere and it was rat infested – there was chewed up paper and mess everywhere.

‘Even for a fit person to live in those conditions has got to have a detrimental effect on your health because there’s airborne bacteria you’re breathing in.’

Mr Mensah added that ‘they had no gas either so for heating they had a string of electrical heaters daisy-chained around the house, which is very dangerous’ 

‘It was all just junk. There was some good quality stuff like a coffee machine but it was just absolutely ruined and contaminated,’ the clearance professional said

The house was swamped in rubbish. The team did what it could to salvage the property but Mr Mensah advised the family not to spend any money on it

The clearance specialist has been running his business for ten years, working alongside social services, local councils and private families to clear out hoarded properties.

He added: ‘When we went in the son broke down and cried. It was an emotional one really. They were just living in the bedroom because you couldn’t get in most of the rooms and they were cooking on a little portable cooker and using a kettle.

‘They had no running water so they were making cups of tea with bottles of water and washing themselves with baby wipes.

‘They had no gas either so for heating they had a string of electrical heaters daisy-chained around the house, which is very dangerous.

Mr Mensah and five of his workers filled eight skips in seven days as they cleared the house which was so filled with trash, some rooms were inaccessible

The clearance specialist has been running his business for ten years, working alongside social services, local councils and private families to clear out hoarded properties

‘The bathroom toilet had leaked so over years all the wood had rotted – you could put a ball point pen into it and it just crumbled – so they had to empty the toilet.’

Mr Mensah and five of his workers filled eight skips in seven days as they cleared the house.

The team did what it could to salvage the property but Mr Mensah advised the family not to spend any money on it.

He said: ‘That’s how we left it because we couldn’t do any more, it was down to the builders then.

‘The son said the parents kept saying they needed to go back to the house and get this and that but the paramedics told them “don’t go in the property” because it was a biohazard.

‘We tried to retrieve some possessions like jewellery, photographs and heirlooms but everything else was ruined.

‘They walked away with nothing, just the clothes on their back and that was it.

‘They were impressed by how much we’d cleared out but they were still sad because it’s like your house going on fire and the firemen put it out – you’ve still lost your house.’

Source: Read Full Article