Connecticut Gov. Ned Lamont self-quarantines after staffer tests positive for COVID-19

Connecticut’s Gov. Ned Lamont announced Friday he will begin self-quarantining after a senior staffer tested positive for COVID-19.

“The governor will immediately begin the process of self-quarantining, as will multiple members of the governor’s senior staff,” his office said in a statement obtained by the Connecticut Post.

The unidentified staffer has not shown symptoms, and has been home in isolation, the governor’s office said.

It’s unclear whether Lamont had been in close contact with the staffer, but his office said contact-tracing efforts were underway.

“We are taking this case seriously and observing all protocols to keep the governor, his family, and all of our staff members and their families safe,” Chief of Staff Paul Mounds said in a statement.

“While this is the first case within our administration, tens of thousands of Connecticut residents have experienced COVID-19, and thousands of others have lost their lives.

Mounds noted that Lamont and his senior staff get tested twice a week — and there were no other known cases as of Friday.

Lamont’s self-quarantine comes after several other states’ top lawmakers have battled the infectious disease.

Nevada Gov. Steve Sisolak, Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine, Oklahoma Gov. Kevin Stitt and Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam have all tested positive for the virus.

Share this article:

Source: Read Full Article