Cops were warned rapist was danger to women just weeks before he kidnapped and raped girl, 13

POLICE were warned a sex attacker was a danger to women before he raped a 13-year-old girl, it's reported.

Kadian Nelson, 27, dragged the girl down an alleyway in south London and assaulted her on November 3.

At the time, there were fears Nelson would be attacked by vigilantes after police appealed for the attacker to hand himself in.

Scotland Yard warned people not to "take the law into their own hands" over the attack at 7am in Mitcham, South London.

He is due to be sentenced next month after pleading guilty at Kingston Crown Court to kidnap and rape.

His former partner, Vanessa Moore, told police he had kicked and punched her on October 11, The Times reports.


She informed the Met the next day, but Nelson wasn't arrested until after he raped the girl.

He appeared in court on November 5 after being charged for all the offences.

On Tuesday, Nelson appeared at Croydon Magistrates’ Court and admitted assault occasioning actual bodily harm on Moore.

The court heard there had been previous violent incidents involving Nelson and his ex-partner.


Women’s Aid has this advice for victims and their families:

  • Always keep your phone nearby.
  • Get in touch with charities for help, including the Women’s Aid live chat helpline and services such as SupportLine.
  • If you are in danger, call 999.
  • Familiarise yourself with the Silent Solution, reporting abuse without speaking down the phone by dialling 55.
  • Always keep some money on you, including change for a pay phone or bus fare.
  • If you suspect your partner is about to attack you, try to go to a lower-risk area of the house – for example, where there is a way out and access to a telephone.
  • Avoid the kitchen and garage, where there are likely to be knives or other weapons. Avoid rooms where you might become trapped, such as the bathroom, or where you might be shut into a cupboard or other small space.

If you are a ­victim of domestic abuse, SupportLine is open Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 6pm to 8pm on 01708 765200.

The charity’s email support ­service is open weekdays and weekends during the crisis – [email protected]

Women’s Aid provides a live chat service – available every day from 10am-6pm.

You can also call the freephone 24-hour ­National Domestic Abuse Helpline on 0808 2000 247.

It wasn't clear if police had been informed.

Norleen Ibe, prosecuting, told the court Nelson took Moore’s phone to stop her calling the police,.

He punched and kicked her and dragged her down the stairs during a sickening attack.

Nelson then left her outside his flat in Tooting, south London, before Moore reported the attack at a police station.

Harriet Wistrich, from the Centre for Women’s Justice, said: “The police regularly fail or are slow to act in relation to allegations of abuse, particularly where they are less serious.


"Some of the very serious cases such as the rape and kidnapping of the 13-year-old girl by Nelson might have been prevented had police acted in respect of the allegations made by his partner earlier.”

Nelson was held on suspicion of rape following a call from a member of the public, police said in November.

It came after an appeal for suspect Kadian Nelson to hand himself in "for his own safety".

Police said they had made "multiple" attempts to arrest Nelson after his former partner reported the October attack.

A Met Police spokesman said: "Following the report of the initial incident to police, officers conducted multiple arrest enquiry attempts to detain Nelson but he could not be traced.

"He was also circulated as wanted internally and on the Police National Computer.

"Nelson was arrested in November in relation to another serious matter, following an extensive police operation involving multiple teams across the MPS, as well as the use of media and social media.

"He was charged and remanded in custody."

    Source: Read Full Article