Coronavirus in NY: Confirmed cases in Nassau County nearly double overnight
The number of confirmed coronavirus cases in Nassau County has grown overnight, bringing the total in the area to 13, officials said Monday.
Nassau County Executive Laura Curran announced six new COVID-19 cases during a Monday-morning press conference.
Curran noted that on Sunday the area had just seven confirmed coronavirus cases.
“Of the six new cases I do not have information about ages, locations or genders at this time. We’re going through it all now,” Curran said.
Of the seven previously announced cases, six of them are part of the same “cluster in the town of Hempstead,” with the additional one involving a man in the town of North Hempstead.
“We do not believe this person, this man, is related to the first six,” Curran said.
The official said that in Nassau County there are 40 residents in mandatory quarantine.
“That number will increase because of the new six numbers,” said Curran, who added that there are 72 people in “precautionary quarantine.”
There are 20 tests pending, officials said.
“Our department’s health investigators, our disease investigators are out there working closely with our state Health Department to continue to investigate any possible cases by going very systematically,” she said. “There’s a routine for this.”
Curran said that the area’s testing capacity for coronavirus is expected to increase and “we know that with more tests will likely come more positives.”
“We can never say it enough,” Curran warned. “If you don’t feel well please stay home, call your healthcare provider, use hand sanitizer, wash your hands. There’s nothing that beats good old-fashioned soap and water for 20 seconds under the sink.”
Additionally, Curran postponed her State of County address scheduled for Wednesday at Elmont Memorial High School.
“I feel that it is very important that we marshal all of our resources to deal with coronavirus to make sure that we remain on the front lines, that we are getting the information out,” Curran said.
“I don’t want to distract those resources,” she said. “Our number one priority is the health of our residents, the safety of our residents. Now is not the time for the State of the County – that can wait.”
More than 100 cases of the flu-like bug have been identified in New York state.
Over the weekend, Gov. Andrew Cuomo declared a state of emergency as the number of coronavirus cases in New York skyrocketed.
Source: Read Full Article