Court rejects mass murderer’s appeal that incarceration violated his rights

COPENHAGEN, Denmark — The European Court of Human Rights on Thursday rejected an appeal by Norwegian mass murderer Anders Behring Breivik. who claimed his incarceration in Norway violates his rights.

The Strasbourg, France-based court said the case “doesn’t reveal any violations” of the 1950 European Convention on Human Rights, and “rejected the application as inadmissible for being manifestly ill-founded.”

The court said Breivik had challenged the conditions of his detention, particularly the fact that he was kept isolated from other prisoners.

The three judges said the decision was final.

Last year, Norway’s top court ruled that Norwegian authorities had not violated the human rights of Breivik, who has legally changed his name to Fjotolf Hansen, by isolating him in jail.

Breivik, who is serving a 21-year sentence for killing 77 people in a bomb-and-shooting rampage in 2011, also had claimed that frequent strip searches and often being handcuffed during the early part of his incarceration violated his rights.

He is held in a three-cell complex in Norway where he can play video games, watch TV and exercise. He has complained about the quality of the prison food, having to eat with plastic utensils and not being able to communicate with sympathizers.

Breivik had meticulously planned the deadly July 22, 2011, attacks, setting off a car bomb outside the government headquarters in Oslo, killing eight people and wounding dozens. He then drove to the island of Utoya, 25 miles away, where he opened fire on the annual summer camp of the left-wing Labor Party’s youth wing. Sixty-nine people there were killed, most of them teenagers, before Breivik surrendered to police.

Source: Read Full Article