Dad calls for lollipops to be BANNED after his son, 5, almost choked to death on sweet
A DAD has called for lollipops to be banned after his son almost chocked to death.
Brett Cole said his son Bobby, 5, "went floppy" and went unconscious when he started choking on the sweet when it fell off its stick after he went trick-or-treating in Plymouth.
The dad is now warning other parents about the dangers of the popular sweet.
Brett says he typically bans his kids from eating lollipops, but allowed them to have on since it they got them after trick-or-treating.
Bobby was sat with his mum Deanna, who is a senior health-care assistant, when he began to make "choking noises" after the sweet detached from the stick and got stuck in his throat.
The sweet dislodged from the lad's throat with sick and blood after his mum performed the Heimlich manoeuvre.
The mum called for Brett for help who said it was "easily the worst experience" of his life.
He said: "We've seen a couple of things before about lollies, so we don't normally give them to our children.
"But they had been given a few in their Halloween sweets and they had been good and asked to have them, so we let them.
"My wife was sat next to Bobby on the sofa and he just started choking on it.
"Deanna shouted for me and I hit him hard on the back, to no effect.
"He passed out and he went floppy. My wife gave him the Heimlich manoeuvre and after several thrusts it came out with sick and blood."
'WE WERE SO WORRIED'
Brett said his son was "in a bit of shock" at first, but after a check up at the hospital and some sleep he returned to his normal self.
He added: "I just want to make people aware of the dangers. We all burst out crying, we were so worried.
"We're going to ban the lollies."
Brett warned others on Facebook and more than 35,000 people have shared the post.
He said that he read other comments from parents who said their kids have also choked on lollipops.
Brett post on Facebook: "So today it happened, we don't usually buy the kids lolly's but after trick or treating they had some in there pots. The end came off and bobby started choking, this was easily the worst experience of my life.
"I hit him so hard on the back to no effect. Deanna Cole this morning has saved Bobby's life. She gave him the Heimlich manoeuvre and after several thrusts it came out with sick and blood.
MOST READ IN NEWS
EXACT date snow blizzards will BATTER Britainrevealed amid Arctic blast
Boy, 5, found dead inside home as woman, 49, held on suspicion of murder
Gun cops in standoff with man in home as residents EVACUATED from homes
'Sadistic' girl, 16, 'laughed as she tortured a doctor to death in park'
"Please guys take this from me ban these lollies. I never post on Facebook but please take my advice.
"We have all cried our eyes out but Bobby is ok, he may not have been.
"Bobby is five and I stupidly thought this was old enough. I won't make that mistake again, make sure you don't!"
Source: Read Full Article