Five-year-old Afghan boy evacuated from Kabul dies in Poland after eating poisonous mushrooms

A five-year-old boy who was recently evacuated from Kabul has died in Poland after eating poisonous mushrooms.

His six-year-old brother, who has undergone a liver transplant, ate the same mushrooms and is now fighting for his life at a children’s hospital.

The boys were admitted to hospital last week, along with their 17-year-old sister, who was later released in good condition.

The family picked and ate the death cap mushrooms, which are among the world’s most poisonous, in the forest around the refugee centre where they were staying in Podkowa Lesna near Warsaw.

The older brother successfully underwent a liver transplant after he was poisoned, but the damage to his brain was significant and life-threatening.

Doctors said their parents were receiving psychological care at the hospital.

Some of their other family members are now recovering after being hospitalised elsewhere.

The children’s father had worked for the UK – and Britain had asked Poland to evacuate him and his family from Afghanistan last month.

At a different refugee centre near Warsaw, four Afghan men were also hospitalised after eating poisonous mushrooms, according to Poland’s Office for Foreigners.

Death cap mushrooms can be easily mistaken for Poland’s popular, edible parasol mushroom because of their similar appearance.

Follow the Daily podcast on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Spreaker

Source: Read Full Article