Girl, 5, stoned to death by her rapist to stop her telling cops in latest shocking attack in India

A FIVE-YEAR-OLD girl was allegedly raped and stoned to death by her attackers in India over fears she would tell the cops.

The shocking attack comes just days after an accused rapist allegedly set fire to his victim with her husband and seven-year-old daughter after they went to the police in India's northern city of Gwalior.

Rape and sexual violence has been under the spotlight in India since the 2012 gang rape and murder of a young woman in Delhi, which prompted thousands demanding stricter laws.

The brutal sex attack on the young girl reportedly happened in the eastern Indian state of Odisha after the young girl went missing on Thursday, police said.

The girl's body was found in a nearby forest on Friday after she disappeared from the small village of Kharkhari in the Dhenkanal district, according to Gulf News.

Her family claim she was raped and stoned to death by her attackers, who have not been identified.

Suprasanna Mallick, a police officer in the region, said an investigation has been launched into the horrific incident.


India is one of the world’s most dangerous countries for women, with a rape occurring every 15 minutes, according to government figures from 2018. 

However, campaigners say the issue is far bigger than that, with sexual violence against women hugely under-reported, despite prison sentences for rapists now standing at 20 years. 

The latest attack comes after a young female patient in an Indian hospital was allegedly gang-raped by a doctor and staff and then murdered earlier this month.

Shortly before she died, the 20-year-old reportedly called her parents to tell them she had been brutally sexually assaulted by the medic and other employees.

Last month, a 12-year-old girl was raped and beheaded in what cops believe was a “black magic ritual”.

How you can get help

Women’s Aid has this advice for victims and their families:

If you are a ­victim of domestic abuse, SupportLine is open Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 6pm to 8pm on 01708 765200. The charity’s email support ­service is open weekdays and weekends during the crisis – [email protected]

  • Always keep your phone nearby.
  • Get in touch with charities for help, including the Women’s Aid live chat helpline and services such as SupportLine.
  • If you are in danger, call 999.
  • Familiarise yourself with the Silent Solution, reporting abuse without speaking down the phone, instead dialing “55”.
  • Always keep some money on you, including change for a pay phone or bus fare.
  • If you suspect your partner is about to attack you, try to go to a lower-risk area of the house – for example, where there is a way out and access to a telephone.
  • Avoid the kitchen and garage, where there are likely to be knives or other weapons. Avoid rooms where you might become trapped, such as the bathroom, or where you might be shut into a cupboard or other small space.

Women’s Aid provides a live chat service available. from 10am to noon.

You can also call the freephone 24-hour ­National Domestic Abuse Helpline on 0808 2000 247

Police in Gujarat, India, arrested her cousin for raping and killing the girl who was speech and hearing impaired after her body was found in Dantiwada in the Banaskantha district.

In the same month, a woman was allegedly gang raped by seven men after they strangled the woman’s five-year-old son in front of her.

The 28-year-old woman, who has not been named, was brutally attacked at a village in the Buxar district in India.

In September, a 20-year-old woman who was left paralysed after being gang-raped in India by four men died from her injuries two weeks later.

The victim was assaulted near her home in the city of Hathras, 60 miles south of Delhi on September 14.

She had been cutting grass when she was dragged into a nearby field and attacked by the men.

The brutal attack sparked protests including a 300-strong group shouting slogans inside the hospital where the woman was treated.

One of the victim's siblings told BBC Hindi: "She was left for dead. She fought for her life for 14 days."

A tour guide was also gang-raped by five men and a woman at a five-star hotel in September, according to police reports.

The rape survivor named six people who attacked her in the hotel near India Gate in Delhi.

In August, a teenage girl was raped and murdered before her "mutilated" body was found dumped in a sugarcane field.

The 13-year-old girl's father claims her tongue had been cut and her eyes gouged out – although police have disputed this, according to reports.

Nearly 34,000 rapes are reported in the country annually despite tough laws introduced in recent years.

Outrage after the 2012 gang rape and murder of a young woman in Delhi led to legislators passing tough new laws against sexual violence, including the death penalty for rape in some cases.

Prison sentences for rapists were doubled to 20 years as well as well as criminalising voyeurism, stalking and trafficking of women.

Indian MPs also voted to lower the age at which a person can be tried as an adult for heinous crimes to 16 from 18.

If you are affected by any of the issues raised in this article, please call the Samaritans for free on 116123.

Source: Read Full Article