Heavily pregnant woman was killed in crash by BMW driver '14 seconds after he finished phone call'

Craig Scott, 51, smashed into the car of tragic Rebecca Evans at around 70mph – killing her and her unborn baby.

Charity worker Rebecca, 27, was eight-months pregnant when she died – and just days away from going on maternity leave from her job at housing charity Shelter.

Prosecutor Miss Catherine Richards said: "The results were catastrophic. The BMW careered into the rear of the car."

The court heard businessman Scott told cops he had ended a hands-free call with work about five minutes before the crash.

However phone analysis showed the call was actually between just 14 and 34 seconds before the tragedy.

Partner Alex Evans had been driving their Peugeot to take them both to work at homeless charity Shelter when the horrific incident happened on the M4.

Her two-year-old son Cian, who was due to be dropped at a nearby service station to his gran, was seriously injured in the crash near Port Talbot, South Wales.

Prosecutor Miss Richards said: "Alex Evans was travelling in the outside lane and saw that the cars in front of him were activating their brake lights.

"His vehicle came to a stop and he put his hazard lights on.

"Vehicles in front of Alex Evans had been able to bring their vehicles to a stop.

"As Alex Evans sat in his vehicle with the hazard lights flashing he could see the defendant's BMW vehicle approaching from behind.

"It seemed to Alex Evans he was not slowing down."

The court heard Scott was driving at around 70mph just two miles away from a 50mph zone.

He hit the couple's silver Peugot 407 at 8.13am on November 29, 2016.

Scott also said he had been distracted by something on a bridge moments before the crash near Junction 38.

The court heard there was no evidence that the BMW's brakes had been applied suddenly.

Miss Richards added: "He was quite simply avoidably and dangerously distracted."

Cian suffered a bleed on the brain, a fractured skull and fractured legs.

Scott, of Heath, Cardiff, pleaded guilty to causing death by careless driving.

But he pleaded not guilty to causing death by dangerous driving and causing serious injury by dangerous driving.

The court heard Scott's car had no mechanical faults and witnesses said it was clear he was not going to slow down before the crash.

Scott, who works in nearby Baglan, regularly uses the road to commute to work and road conditions were good at the time.

Rebecca, of Bridgend, South Wales, died at the scene.

The trial at Swansea Crown court continues.


Source: Read Full Article