Hundreds forced to queue for 'FIVE HOURS' for coronavirus test at Bury NHS walk-in centre
HUNDREDS of people were forced to queue for five hours for a coronavirus test at a walk-in-centre, a dad has claimed.
Tony Kirvin needed to get his 14-year-old son Michael tested after he began to show mild symptoms and was sent home from school.
⚠️ Read our coronavirus live blog for the latest news & updates
The nearest testing centre was a 120-mile round trip which the 43-year-old said was not feasible, so drove to a walk-in centre near their home in Bury, Greater Manchester.
But he was shocked when he arrived at the Mosses Centre to find hundreds of people queued up – with many not wearing masks.
His wife was told there was "no chance" they'd get in as the wait in the queue on Thursday was at least five hours.
Tony said there was "absolutely no way" he could join the line, as his son, who has autism, would struggle due to his condition.
The dad-of-four said: "It's just shocking to see, but not surprising considering schools have been reopened and we've had the eat out to help out scheme.
"It was inevitable."
However the full-time carer managed to get a test done at a nearby site.
'SHOCKING TO SEE'
Councillor Andrea Simpson, Bury Council Cabinet Member for Health and Wellbeing, said: "Bury has opened a number of walk-through testing centres to improve access and options for local people that are experiencing symptoms of coronavirus, additional sites are due to open very soon.
"Demand for testing is increasing at a national level and in response to this, having these local testing options helps to meet this demand locally.
"As a result of this demand, our walk-through centres have become increasingly busy, and whilst the centres will test as many symptomatic people as possible, at busy times, there may be a wait, and if demand is very high people may be asked to consider other testing options.
"It's really important that our walk-through centres are reserved for people who are experiencing symptoms of coronavirus, many people coming to the centres have no symptoms."
On Wednesday the PM announced new restrictions in a bid to stop coronavirus' alarming spread — after Chief Medical Officer Chris Whitty revealed infections were soaring among the young.
He warned that people flouting the clampdown — including bans on social gatherings of more than six — could even be arrested.
In his first press conference since July, the PM announced moves to ramp up enforcement of the tough rules to make sure everyone is following them – or they risk being slapped with fines of at least £100.
And now Brits will face whopping fines for breaking self-isolation rules as part of new plans to halt the surge in coronavirus cases.
Mr Johnson is drawing up new plans to enforce the strict measures amid fears people are ignoring advice.
Medical experts warned that a second spike in coronavirus was being fuelled by young people failing to follow the rules on social distancing and hygiene.
In a concerning development, infections have surged among middle-aged Brits – as cases in over-50s rocketed by 92 per cent last week.
Source: Read Full Article