I was glassed by stranger on my 18th at Wetherspoon's – I thought I'd die

A WOMAN has told how she was left covered in blood after being glassed at a Wetherspoon's on her 18th birthday.

Emily Browne, from Cardiff, was out celebrating her big day with pals when she was attacked at the V-Shed in Bristol.

She said she was ordering her second drink at the bar when the back of her head went numb.

The 18-year-old A-level student believes an item made out of glass was thrown from the balcony overlooking the bar area, into the crowd.

And Emily, who received two staples to the back of her head as a result of the injury, had booked a hotel for the night – but instead ended up spending the night in A&E on her own.

"It was horrible," she said.

"I was in a lot of pain, it was a really traumatic night.

"My friends heard a loud bang noise, but I didn't know what they were on about. They said it sounded like a glass hitting the bar.

"Then the back of my head went numb and, when I touched it with my hand, it felt.

"It was soaked in blood."

Most read in News


'Octomum' who lost all eight of her babies dies aged 56 after cancer battle


Girl, 16, who murdered doctor wore blanket during cop quiz to look innocent


Boris publicly knifed by Rishi as four of PM's top aides quit No10


Ex-footie star charged with sex assault after 'woman in 20s attacked in a bar'

Cops are now investigating the reported assault, which took place on Saturday, January 15 at around 10.10pm.

Wetherspoon has said plastic glasses are used at the pub from 7pm on Friday and Saturday.

And Emily said staff were unable to find the incident on CCTV.

She also claimed there was no qualified first-aider at the venue so they tried to call for an ambulance, but they were told they would have to wait for several hours.

In the end, Emily and her friends walked to the A&E department at the Bristol Royal Infirmary, where she was given two staples to the back of her head.

"I think the worst part of is that there was no context to it, there was nothing to provoke it," she added.

"It was a really horrible assault.

There was nothing I could have done to stop it. It was totally unprovoked.

"There was nothing I could have done to stop it. It was totally unprovoked."

The teen said she is still suffering from nightmares, short-term memory loss and headaches following the incident.

Avon and Somerset Police said: "Police are investigating a report of an assault on an 18-year-old female which took place in V Shed, Canons Road, Bristol on Saturday 15 January at around 10.10pm.

“An item was thrown by an unknown offender, striking the victim’s head and causing injury which required hospital treatment.

“We’d ask anyone who witnessed this incident or has any information to contact police on 101, quoting crime reference 5222012002."

A Wetherspoon spokesman added: “We are aware of an incident which took place at the V Shed in Bristol on 15 January, where a customer was hit with a plastic glass.

"An ambulance was called by the pub’s staff, but they were told it would not able to attend for some time due to a high level of emergency calls and were advised that the customer should attend a nearby medical unit.

"In the interim, the pub’s door security team administered first aid on the customer. CCTV of the incident has been retained, which will be passed to the police if it is requested. We wish the customer a full and speedy recovery.”

    Source: Read Full Article