Ireland put under six-week lockdown with level 5 restrictions stopping anyone travelling over 3 miles from home
IRELAND will be plunged into a full national lockdown for SIX WEEKS with people told to stay within three miles from home.
Tightened coronavirus restrictions were signed off by government ministers today but schools will remain open and elite sport – like horse racing and Gaelic football – will continue.
⚠️ Read our coronavirus live blog for the latest news & updates
The building industry will not be stopped by the clampdown and people will be able to meet one other household outdoors.
While weddings will stay at 25 guests and funerals 10 people until the end of the year.
The public will be asked to work from home except for essential workers, and pubs, restaurants and cafes will only be able to provide takeaways and deliveries.
Ireland will be placed in a Level-5 lockdown from midnight on Wednesday and the restrictions will be reviewed after four weeks, RTE reports.
Ireland's covid restrictions are run on a five-level system, with the harshest measures being level 5.
Ministers believe that giving businesses until Wednesday is enough time to prepare – with many non essential shops and hairdressers set to close.
Off-licences could be forced to operate under reduced hours, but this is under review.
The government is also considering allowing certain non-essential stores to open under a click-and-collect service.
While pubs and restaurants will be allowed to serve takeaway.
LEVEL 5 LOCKDOWN
Transport Minister Eamon Ryan indicated that any new restrictions would not be introduced immediately saying "you don't just flick a switch".
Asked about a timeline for introducing new measures as he arrived for a sub-Cabinet meeting on Monday, he said: "We'll decide that.
"I think one of the lessons previously is you don't just flick a switch, you have to give people a wee bit of notice. But Cabinet will have to decide that."
Green Party leader Mr Ryan said he hoped the decisions reached today would give clarity to the public.
He said: "I hope there can be because that's the important part of it.
"The Tanaiste put it right the other day, you need a series of indicators, but that will be for Cabinet to decide. "
Commenting on the decision to make the lockdown six weeks, he said: "I think it's getting things right.
"It's complicated, there's a huge amount of implications for people's everyday lives.
"I think it's appropriate that we try and get the arrangements and the details right in that time."
The move comes after a record spike in cases over the past few days.
Today there were 1,031 new cases of Covid-19 but no further deaths announced in Ireland.
There has now been 50,993 cases of the killer bug in the republic – bringing the total number of infections past 50,000 for the first time.
The death toll has remained at 1,852.
Of the cases confirmed today, 511 are in men while 518 were reported in women.
While 70 per cent of those diagnosed are under 45 years of age.
The median age of those reported today is 30 years old.
There were 235 new cases recorded in Dublin, 232 in Cork, 60 in Galway, 47 in Limerick, 47 in Kerry, and the remaining 410 cases are spread across 21 counties.
CORONAVIRUS CRISIS – STAY IN THE KNOW
Don’t miss the latest news and figures – and essential advice for you and your family.
To receive The Sun’s Coronavirus newsletter in your inbox every tea time, sign up here.
To follow us on Facebook, simply ‘Like’ our Coronavirus page.
Get Britain’s best-selling newspaper delivered to your smartphone or tablet each day – find out more.
Source: Read Full Article