Machete attacker jailed after bin collector found his weapon

Machete attacker, 37, is jailed for 18 years after bin collector found his weapon and handed it in to police

  • Noor Kayani, 37, punched the victim during a row before using the machete
  • The unnamed victim put up his arms to protect himself, suffering a deep cut
  • A refuse collector later found the blade and flagged down a passing police car  

A man has been jailed for a ‘brutal’ machete attack which left his victim with life-changing injuries after a bin collector found the weapon and flagged down police.

Noor Kayani, of Gatton Road, Wandsworth had met with the victim, who he knew, and stole his phone before punching him in the face after a row erupted between the two on June 21 at about 3.30pm.

The victim said he momentarily lost his vision from the punch before instinctively lifting his arms to protect himself from the sudden machete blow that followed.

He was left with nerve damage to his arm from the attack, which Kayani fled.

Noor Kayani, 37, has been jailed for up to 18 years after the ‘brutal’ machete attack in broad daylight

Kayani, 37, has now been locked up for 18 years after being convicted of wounding with intent, having a blade and for possession of a Class B drug.

Kingston Crown Court heard how on the day of the attack the victim happened to stumble onto the scene of a nearby unrelated incident and approached police cradling his arm in a “blood-soaked” jacket.

He had suffered a deep laceration to his arm and was taken to hospital.

The next day, police on patrol were flagged down by a refuse collector who had found a machete in a sheath in Upper Tooting Road.

When forensic analysis was done on the blade, it was linked to Kayani who was arrested at his home on June 23.

The weapon was discovered by a refuse collector who passed it on to a police officer 

The incident happened in Selkirk Road at the junction with Tooting High Street in broad daylight 

While the victim requires ongoing medical treatment for nerve damage from the attack, Kayani was handed the jail sentence at Kingston Crown Court last Friday.

The Met’s Detective Constable Tayler-Rose Mayhew said: “I am delighted we have secured such a significant sentence for what was an atrocious attack that took place in the street in broad daylight.

‘Kayani denied any involvement but we were able to prove beyond doubt that he was responsible.

“This brutal incident was the result of a petty argument between the two men involving a woman known to both of them.

“The victim had thought they would settle the dispute verbally and was completely unprepared for the nightmarish situation that would ensue.

“He has been left with life-changing physical injuries, and will also bear the mental scars for a long time to come.”

Source: Read Full Article