Man charged over Footscray skull theft
A 40-year-old man has been arrested after two graves were allegedly disturbed and skulls were stolen from a Melbourne cemetery earlier this year.
A police spokeswoman said detectives from the Maribyrnong Crime Investigation Unit arrested a Spotswood man on Friday, two months after partial human remains were allegedly stolen from mausoleums at the Footscray General Cemetery on Geelong Road, between 27 January 27 and February 1.
The man is expected to be charged with interfering with the corpse of a human being and criminal damage, she said. The remains have also been seized.
The scene of the alleged crime.Credit:Chris Hopkins
“Maribyrnong CIU executed a warrant in Mary Street today, where they allegedly recovered what is believed to be the stolen partial human remains,” the spokeswoman said.
“Local detectives have been working tirelessly and with extreme sensitivity to conduct a thorough investigation into this incident.”
The investigation will continue and remains ongoing.
Anyone with information that could assist police is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or visit crimestoppersvic.com.au.
The Morning Edition newsletter is our guide to the day’s most important and interesting stories, analysis and insights. Sign up here.
Most Viewed in National
Source: Read Full Article