Meghan Markle and Prince Harry ‘tell favoured media about personal birthday call with Queen’ despite demands for privacy – The Sun
PRINCE Harry and Meghan told their favoured publications about a personal birthday call with the Queen yesterday, it has been reported.
It comes after Buckingham Palace confirmed the family video chats with Her Majesty would "be private and kept so".
The Monarch turned 94 yesterday, celebrating in private in isolation with Prince Philip amid the coronavirus pandemic.
The Palace previously said: "Her Majesty’s birthday will not be marked in a special way – and calls, video calls, with family will be private and kept so.
"There will be no gun salutes. Her Majesty was keen that no special measures were put in place… as she did not feel it was appropriate in the current circumstances."
But the Daily Mail reports the Duke and Duchess of Sussex issued certain news outlets with details of the call – confirming baby Archie joined them to speak to his great-grandmother from California.
Aides said any phone calls and video calls wouldn't be publicised after Prince William revealed last week there is a royal family zoom group.
It comes days after the pair announced a decision to boycott four of the biggest UK newspapers – which "stunned" Buckingham Palace officials.
The Sun Online has gone to Buckingham Palace for comment.
Last year the Queen was surrounded by 16 family members for the big day, but like millions around the country she is banned from seeing relatives and friends due to the coronavirus lockdown.
She halted any public celebration – cancelling the traditional gun salutes in Hyde Park and Tower of London and Trooping of the Colour in June.
To thank well-wishers, the Royal Family shared private video footage from the Queen's childhood, courtesy of the Royal Collection Trust.
The footage shows the Queen, then Princess Elizabeth, with her family – and features clips of her playing and dancing with her younger sister Princess Margaret.
Alongside the video, The Royal Family wrote: "Thank you for your messages today, on The Queen’s 94th birthday."
And the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge led the Royal Family's birthday wishes when they took to Twitter to offer their good wishes, while Prince Charles shared a selection of childhood photos to mark the occasion.
Sharing a photo from the Chelsea Flower Show, Kensington Palace tweeted: "Wishing Her Majesty The Queen a very happy 94th Birthday today!"
Meanwhile, Clarence House shared four throwback photos featuring the Queen with Prince Charles, Princess Anne and the Duchess of Cornwall.
One black and white image shows the Queen presenting Prince Charles with a runners-up prize at the Silver Jubilee Cup match against France at Windsor Great Park on July 24, 1988.
Head of the Commonwealth, Head of the Armed Forces, Head of State in 16 countries and the longest reigning Monarch in British History. Wife, mother, grandmother and great-grandmother. Happy birthday, Your Majesty!
Another shows the Queen and the Duchess of Cornwall at Royal Ascot last year.
The touching tribute reads: "Wishing Her Majesty The Queen a very Happy 94th Birthday."
The Royal Family's official Twitter account also wished the "Head of the Commonwealth, Head of the Armed Forces, Head of State in 16 countries and the longest reigning Monarch in British History" a happy birthday.
It added: "Wife, mother, grandmother and great-grandmother. Happy birthday, Your Majesty!"
Captain Tom Moore, who is due to celebrate his 100th birthday at the end of April, also sent his best wishes to Her Majesty.
The World War Two veteran, who has raised more than £27million for the NHS by walking 100 laps of his garden, sent a message to the monarch, saying: "Happy Birthday your majesty… With the highest regards, Captain Tom Moore."
It comes after Prince Philip saluted the nation for their response to the coronavirus crisis on Sunday.
He delivered a heartfelt thank you to key workers who are keeping the country going.
The couple no longer seem to be using the Sussex Royal Instagram account, which has been inactive for three weeks.
They were forced to ditch plans for their 'Sussex Royal' brand following lengthy Buckingham Palace talks.
The Queen ruled the couple cannot use “Royal” in their new commercial lives abroad.
Source: Read Full Article