Microsoft’s Bill Gates slams Trump’s ‘dangerous’ decision to halt WHO funding during coronavirus pandemic – The Sun

BILL Gates has slammed President Donald Trump's "dangerous" decision to halt the World Health Organization funding during the coronavirus crisis.

On Wednesday, the Microsoft mogul took to Twitter to air his concerns with the president's decision.

Gates wrote: "Halting funding for the World Health Organization during a world health crisis is as dangerous as it sounds.

"Their work is slowing the spread of COVID-19 and if that work is stopped no other organization can replace them.

"The world needs @WHO now more than ever."

The Microsoft co-founder previously pledged $100 million toward fighting the deadly virus, through The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.

His comments came just hours after Trump announced that on Tuesday that he would be freezing all US funding to WHO, because it "mismanaged and covered up" the coronavirus crisis after the first outbreak in China.

The president – who previously said the WHO is too "China-centric" – singled out the organization's "disastrous decision to oppose travel restrictions" that he placed on China in January.

"The WHO pushed China's misinformation about the virus saying it was not communicable and there was no need for travel bans," he said.

He told reporters "they were very much opposed to what we did" and said other countries who followed the organization's advice experienced "great tragedies and missed opportunities from the early days."

Trump said of funding, the US will "redirect global health and directly work with others."

The US coronavirus death toll has reached 26,112.

The total number of confirmed cases is currently 614,643.

However, at least 38,820 people have recovered from the deadly disease.


Source: Read Full Article