MLB announces 31 out of 3,100 players test positive for coronavirus, which one GM says is ‘encouraging’ – The Sun
Major League Baseball announced Friday that 31 out of 3,100 players had tested positive for coronavirus, which one General Manager called "encouraging."
The first set of results for COVID-19 testing was revealed on July 3rd by the MLB and the Major League Baseball Players Association.
In total, 31 players tested positive for the virus – which has globally infected more than ten million people as of this week.
Seven MLB staff members also tested positive for coronavirus.
According to the news release, the testing was "conducted as part of the mandatory Intake Screening process under MLB’s COVID-19 Health Monitoring & Testing Plan."
The test results, obtained by an independent Utah laboratory, come before the start of the MLB players' workouts and full baseball activities.
Nineteen different clubs were found to have at least one individual test positive during intake testing.
MLB said the number of positive tests makes up only 1.2 percent of the 3,185 total samples collected and tested.
Arizona Diamondbacks GM Mike Hazen told USA Today: “It will be encouraging if we can keep that to that level. It’s going to be on all of us to do our best to do that.
"Just because we get through the quarantine, just because we pass multiple tests doesn’t mean behaviors can go back to normal.
"It means practicing social distancing, even when we’re at the field, being mindful of where you are in space, wearing a mask all of the time."
He added: “It’s going to be on all of us. What are we doing at night? Going home, and being mindful when we go out to the grocery store and things like that, that we’re still practicing those behaviors.
"I think that’s what it’s going to require for us to stay safe through the season.’’
Earlier this week, several players decided to opt out of the league's rescheduled season, citing health concerns amid the coronavirus pandemic.
Ryan Zimmerman and Joe Ross of the World Series-winning Washington Nationals were joined by Ian Desmond of the Colorado Rockies and Mike Leake of the Arizona Diamondbacks on Monday, just days before spring training is set to start.
Major League Baseball decided to cut the 2020 season to 60 games amid the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, but players were given the option to opt out.
In its COVID-19 return-to-play safety plan, the league states that any players who are considered high-risk – those with pre-existing conditions, compromised immune systems, etc. – can decide not to play in the shortened season and still receive their full salary and service time.
The MLB has included an opt-out option for players who have high-risk family members.
Whether or not MLB players should receive their full salaries and service time is left up to the teams.
July 23 is the expected start date of the shortened season.
Source: Read Full Article