Mum guilty of allowing son, 2, to die as monster boyfriend battered him two days after second birthday

A MUM has been found guilty of allowing her two-year-old son to die as her monster boyfriend battered him two days after his second birthday.

Keigan O'Brien's mum, Sarah O'Brien, 33, was cleared of murder but found guilty of causing or allowing the death of a child and child cruelty.

Cruel killer Martin Currie, 36, was facing life in jail after attacking tragic little Keigan in January,leaving him with a bleed on the brain.

Instead of calling for help Currie grabbed his phone and searched "irregular breathing", "gurgling" and "unconscious".

He and Keigan's mum finally dialled 999 two hours later but it was too late.

Jurors were told it was likely Keigan's catastrophic injuries were inflicted by his head being thrown against a wall or the floor.

Over the previous weeks, he had suffered a broken spine, broken ribs, black eyes and a broken arm due to twisting.


Keigan’s blood was also found on his high chair, on a wall, and on Currie’s clothing at the family home in Doncaster, South Yorks.

Currie was found guilty of murder and cruelty after a five week trial at Sheffield Crown Court.

Neither Currie or O'Brien sought medical help for the injuries Keigan suffered before he was rushed to hospital on January 8.

The pair, who had only been dating for six months, referred to Keigan as "w***stain" and "s***head".

Currie inflicted fatal injuries on the defenceless little boy, and O’Brien took no steps to protect her child

And on one occasion Currie was seen man-handling Keigan before yelling: "Stop moaning, you little bastard."

The defendants did not sit in the dock together but heard the verdicts separately.

They will be sentenced at a later date.

Jill Brookes, from the Crown Prosecution Service, said: "Tragically, little Keigan O’Brien’s life came to an end only four days after his second birthday.

"He was killed in his own home – the place where he should have been safest from harm.

"Having heard all the evidence, the jury decided that Currie inflicted fatal injuries on the defenceless little boy, and O’Brien took no steps to protect her child.

"They both then lied about what had happened. The pair are now facing lengthy prison sentences.

"The desperately sad and shocking outcome of this case is that Keigan’s life ended before it had barely begun.

"Our thoughts remain with the rest of Keigan’s family, as they have been throughout."

Source: Read Full Article