Penge crash – Young mum, 23, died screaming 'where's my baby?' after car ploughed into pram as eight-month-old fights for life

Nicole Newman, 23, was taking her eight-month-old boy to visit her mum when she was fatally injured in Penge, South East London, at around 8pm last night.

The mum was pronounced dead at the roadside by paramedics who had frantically battled to save her life in front of horrified witnesses.

Her baby was raced to hospital and is still fighting for life after the smash, which left a broken pram scattered across the road.

A bartender at the Pawleyne Arms, who didn’t want to be named, told the Sun Online: "I’ve known her for years.

"Her boyfriend is called Charlie and they’ve been dating for about three to four years. It was their child.

"She was a close friend when we were younger. It’s really sad.

"My friend told me over the phone what had happened.

"She liked going out, she was a beautiful girl. After school I think she studied beauty.

"She lived in Anerley and I think her parents did as well. It’s just so horrible."

I saw one lady crying, I think it might have been the lady’s mum – she was screaming loudly. The police officers were comforting her.

Eyewitnesses have told of her harrowing final words as she frantically searched for her boy after the horror smash.

A neighbour who lives close to the horrifying crash site told the MailOnline: "Her last words were screams of 'where's my baby? Where's my baby?'

"When I looked outside a passer-by was holding the baby to stop the car or the driver moving from the point of impact.

"It took about 15 minutes for the ambulance to show up. When they arrived they gave her a drip but kept her there. Hearing her final screams was so upsetting."

Officers and paramedics fought to save the mum, in her 20s, but she was declared dead at the scene – where a broken pram and handbag were left.

The driver of the car was also been taken to hospital – he has not been arrested and was believed to be speaking with police.

Her last words were screams of 'where's my baby? Where's my baby?'

Babu Hari, manager of the newsagent on the road opposite where the crash happened, told the Sun Online: "I heard screaming and I could hear a bang, it sounded like two cars crashing.

"It happened at 8.12pm. You could see the pram on the ground, it was upright.

"Lots of people ran out to help. There was a woman who was checking the pulse of the baby.

"I saw one lady crying, I think it might have been the lady’s mum – she was screaming loudly. The police officers were comforting her."

Witness Joe Ball, 30, said: "I have never seen anything like it in my life. I knew she was dead when I called the ambulance.

"I just couldn’t look. All I can think about is hearing the car by her."

"I have never heard a bang like it. It all happened so quickly. In that split second I saw her up in the air."

A witness added the mum's parents arrived at the scene shortly after the crash, adding they are a "close knit" family.

Another neighbour said: "The woman is a friend of a friend's girlfriend.

"The baby is their son. He is eight months old. He is in an on-off condition at the moment and they are not sure if he will live."


Harrowing video from the scene showed at least 12 emergency vehicles flooding the street.

The officers covered the mother's body in a blue sheet and erect a tent around the scene.

A witness posted on Facebook: "Boy what a sad start for 2019. (I was) just passing, going about my business and I came across such a horrific accident.

"A car hit a babymother while she was trying to cross the road.

"The fire brigade is here, the ambulance are here, the police are here."


A Metropolitan Police statement said: "Officers and London Ambulance attended and found a car had been in collision with a 23-year-old female pedestrian, who was pushing a pram carrying her eight-month-old baby son.

"Despite the efforts of officers and paramedics, the mother was declared dead at the scene.

"Her next of kin have been informed. We await formal identification and a post-mortem examination will be held in due course.

"The baby boy was taken to hospital, where he remains in a critical condition.

"The driver of the car, a 51-year-old man, stopped at the scene.

"He was taken to hospital for treatment to non life-threatening injuries.

"He has since been discharged; he has not been arrested and is assisting police with their enquiries.

"Officers continue to work to establish the full circumstances of the incident.

"Detectives from the Serious Collision Investigation Unit are asking anyone with dash-cam footage, or who witnessed the incident, to come forward and speak to police.

"If you have information that could assist the investigation, please call the Serious Collision Investigation Unit based at Catford Garage on 020 8285 1574 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111."

Source: Read Full Article