Prince Charles 'thrilled' dad Prince Philip, 99, is home after longest hospital stay
PRINCE Philip’s iron will was saluted yesterday as he returned home to the Queen following his longest hospital stay.
The Duke of Edinburgh, 99, was in “good spirits” as he was driven back to Windsor after heart surgery and treatment for an infection.
🔵 Follow our Prince Philip live blog for the very latest news on the Duke…
The royal, in a white shirt and cream sweater, was shielded by screens as he left King Edward VII's Hospital in a wheelchair.
He then stood up to get into the back of a waiting BMW before waving to well-wishers.
He had been admitted to the London hospital on February 16 because he was feeling unwell.
In the meantime, the Queen, 94, has been left to deal with the fall-out from Prince Harry and Meghan’s bombshell Oprah Winfrey interview.
Harry, 36, is expected back in the UK for Philip’s 100th birthday in June and the unveiling of a Princess Diana statue.
Sources close to the duke last night said he remained “in good spirits” after his 28-day stay.
His “enormous willpower” was praised — while Prince Charles told of his delight that his father was allowed home.
Charles, who visited him last month, was with Camilla at a vaccine drop-in centre in North London’s Finsbury Park Mosque.
“I am thrilled about it,” he said, adding: “I have spoken to him several times.”
Ingrid Seward, Prince Philip’s biographer, said: “The extraordinary thing about the Duke of Edinburgh is he has enormous willpower which has helped him throughout his life.
'WON'T WANT ANY FUSS'
“It’s helped him overcome all obstacles. He knows a lot has gone on while he has been in hospital and he has to stay fit for the Queen.
"They have a lot to talk about. But he has been the epitome of ‘put up, shut up and get on with it’.
“The duke will be looking forward to supporting the Queen right now and be right there beside her for her 95th birthday and his 100th in June.
“But from his point of view the least he can get away with on his birthday the better as he won’t want any fuss.”
Philip was admitted to hospital on the same day Harry and Meghan sat down with Oprah.
Royal sources said he needed rest and observation after being unwell for several days.
Doctors said it was not Covid-related and the decision was made out of an “abundance of caution”.
The Palace said he was being treated for an infection.
But after two weeks he was transferred by ambulance to St Bartholomew’s Hospital for testing and observation on a pre- existing heart condition.
Days later, the Palace announced he had had successful heart surgery and was taken back to King Edward VII’s Hospital for observation.
Buckingham Palace said yesterday: “The Duke of Edinburgh has been discharged from King Edward VII’s Hospital and has returned to Windsor Castle, following treatment for an infection and a successful procedure for a pre-existing condition.
"His Royal Highness wishes to thank all the medical staff who looked after him at both King Edward VII’s Hospital and St Bartholomew’s Hospital, and everyone who has sent their good wishes.”
Philip will also now meet the two new corgi puppies which arrived at Windsor Castle while he was in hospital.
As her husband of 73 years was having treatment, the Queen took part in Zoom calls, finalised Megxit and issued a Commonwealth message.
Philip’s return home comes just over a week after Meghan and Harry’s Oprah interview was broadcast.
In it, they claimed a member of the Royal Family had raised concerns about the skin colour of their future children.
The Sussexes reportedly told Oprah off-air that it was not the Queen or Prince Philip.
The Queen has ordered a private family investigation into the allegations but added “some recollections may vary”.
Philip had been spending the latest lockdown at Windsor with the Queen for their safety, alongside a reduced household of staff.
The couple received their first Covid jabs in January.
GOT a story? RING The Sun on 0207 782 4104 or WHATSAPP on 07423720250 or EMAIL [email protected]
Source: Read Full Article