Sick Gran, 92, spends 25 hours on hospital chair waiting to be seen by a doctor

An extremely sick and distressed 92-year-old was left for 25 hours on a hospital chair waiting to be seen by a doctor, HER FAMILY CLAIM.

Gladys Cummins was taken to the A&E at Dublin’s Mater hospital last Monday afternoon, September 3, and had already started suffering from psychosis caused by a bad kidney infection.

Her nursing home had recommended she be admitted and her family were called to stay with her to deal with reoccurring manic episodes, reported the Irish mirror.

Her daughter Dee who watched helplessly as her mother’s health decline at the hospital, said after the incident, “I’m starting to lose my faith in politics”.

The family feared the grandmother’s infection had turned to sepsis but help did not come quickly.

Dee told RTE’s Liveline: "She’s 92. She has been suffering with a kidney infection that has slowly got worse.

“The problem was that she started to show signs of psychosis and they were afraid that she maybe had sepsis.

“My other sister went in the ambulance with her and they arrived at 2.15pm on Monday afternoon.

“She was actually in the A&E Department for over 24 hours, probably about 25.

“She was there(in the chair) the whole time. She swapped from a wheelchair because she’s not mobile and had to be assisted everywhere."

Read More

Top Stories from Mirror Online

  • Town on lockdown after stabbing
  • Boris Johnson’s Valentine’s Day dinner
  • ‘Abuse victim’ slept with 100 men by 16
  • Mum and baby survive train track plunge

Gladys had been positioned in a corner of a ward nearby automatic doors which would open every time paramedics arrived at the hospital, according to her daughter.

Her family had to wrap her up in blankets just to keep her warm during the over day-long wait.

"She would have been having manic episodes, it was hard to calm her," said Dee.

“There was a lot of elderly people there and they weren’t being afforded much dignity.”

Labour’s health spokesman Alan Kelly condemned Mrs Cummins’ ordeal describing it as a "scandal".

He said: “It’s absolutely scandalous. What I’m finding out today in relation to where we are as regards to the situation in hospitals is actually getting worse.

“The stories that I am hearing across the country must be the greatest example of the crisis we now find ourselves in when it comes to our hospitals.

“A woman has been left like this is outrageous and a scandal.”

Dee said nobody is taking responsibility for the horrendous conditions and added: “How long have we been having this conversation? How long have Irish people been doing this?

“They promise and say it’s in hand, it doesn’t happen over night. We hear all the excuses over and over again. Our Government is not up to the job."

Gladys is now on the geriatric ward waiting on results, Dee said.

The HSE has said it regrets any delays.

A spokesman told the Irish Herald it cannot comment on individual cases but apologised to any patients who face or have faced delays in the last few days.

The Mirror has contacted the HSE for comment.

Source: Read Full Article