Storm Arwen – ‘Lovely’ pub praised for saving 'stranded' travellers from snow & 90mph gales by offering soup & shelter

A "LOVELY" pub has been praised for saving "stranded" travellers from snow and 90mph gales by offering soup and shelter.

The Brewers Arms in Berwick-on-Tweed, Northumberland, has set up a fully heated "make-shift shelter" with warm soup for anyone stuck the wind.

The devastating storm has brought 33ft waves, plunging temperatures and blizzards to much of the UK – with several houses damaged in the gales.

Around 20 people flocked to the pub at the sea-side town to escape the wind.

The pub's landlady Margaret wrote on Facebook: "If anyone is stranded in these winds or their house is unsafe I can go and set up some kind of make-shift shelter in the pub.

"Please don’t be stuck or in trouble or frightened."

She later added: "My mum is now at the pub and anyone is welcome. She’s got the heating on and soup is being heated."

Punters flocked to the comments to share their gratitude at the pub's kind offer.

Paul Smith wrote: "Thank you to everyone at the Brewers Arms.

"You are looking after my lovely wife Alyson tonight on her journey from Nairn to Tyneside. Thank you so much."


Gillian Walkingshaw took the pub up on the offer after the storm left her stranded.

She said: "Absolute Godsend. We would have been completely stranded without the lovely ladies here.

"The only ones not to sleep, everyone else has managed to get their heads down safe under their careful watch. Thank you so much."

Paul Naples-Hails added: "Lovely thing to do."

Kerry Oakes wrote: "Margaret you are such a kind and generous lady. Thank you for supporting your community as always."

It comes after a second man was crushed to death by a tree as Storm Arwen brought chaos to the country.

The man -who has not yet been named -was killed when the tree fell on him in Ambleside, Cumbria, last night.

It marks Storm Arwen's second casualty, after head teacher and dad-of-four Francis Lagan was killed when a tree fell on his car in Antrim, Northern Ireland, yesterday.

Severe weather also closed major roads and a railways across the country, resulting in significant tail-backs.

More than 120 lorries became completely stranded in severe snow between junctions 21 and 22 on the M62 at 2.30am this morning.

Gritters and snow ploughs were quickly deployed to clear the way and reopen the road, Manchester Evening News reports.

And thousands of homes in Wales were left with out power after the gales affected power lines in the west.


The latest storm victim died at the scene in Ambleside after a tree fell on him last night.

A Cumbria Constabulary statement read: "Police and partner agencies are in attendance to a serious incident on Vicarage Road, Ambleside.

"The incident involved a tree falling on to a man. Police were called to the scene at 11pm yesterday.

"Emergency services including Fire, Search and Rescue, Ambulance and Police attended the scene.

"The man who was from Lancaster sadly died at the scene.

"Police and partner agencies are attending the scene as the tree remains dangerous and the public is asked to avoid the area until the tree has been made safe."

Last night, a father-of-four died when a tree fell on his car in Antrim, Northern Ireland.

It's thought Francis Lagan had been driving with his wife and two of his children – who all escaped without injury.

He had been headteacher at St Mary’s Primary School in Maghera, Co Derry.

We pay for your stories!

Do you have a story for The Sun news desk?

Email us at [email protected] or call 0207 782 4104. You can WhatsApp us on 07423 720 250. We pay for videos too.

Click here to upload yours.

Click here to get The Sun newspaper delivered for FREE for the next six weeks.

    Source: Read Full Article