Terrified family barricade hotel room after creepy worker 'accosts' daughter, 15
When Rachel and Stephen Tulsie took their three children for a Caribbean holiday for a very special purpose.
It was a precious opportunity to ‘make memories’ with their 10-year-old son Harvey, who suffers from a rare and terminal illness.
But their £11,000 dream holiday in the Dominican Republic turned into a nightmare after a lecherous hotel worker allegedly accosted their 15-year-old daughter Leah.
The couple from Kinmel Bay, north-east Wales, say they had to barricade themselves in their hotel room after complaining about the member of staff and getting him sacked.
Travel firm Tui says it was ‘concerned to hear of their experience’ and is investigating the incident.
After spending some time on the beach on January 4, Leah says she went back to her room to find the door open and two members of staff arguing inside.
She turned around and started walking back to the pool, at which point she heard one of the workers shouting and gesturing at her.
The nervous teen started walking faster, at which point the member of staff ran in front of her and physically stopped her from escaping.
Rachel, 37, said: ‘He was reaching for her phone saying, “WhatsApp, WhatsApp”. Lea was telling him she didn’t understand and tried to walk away.
‘But the man, who she says was in his 30s, took the phone from her and started pointing at it saying “Facebook, Facebook”.’
The worker was said to have opened the app on her phone and saw Leah’s name before typing in his mobile number.
Rachel said he then called himself on her daughter’s phone and said: ‘I call… we meet.’
Leah came running back to her mum and dad looking ‘very scared’ before receiving a friend request by the hotel worker.
Stephen rushed back to the hotel room but by this point the man had disappeared.
The family complained to the hotel’s management and were told the member staff had been dismissed after CCTV was reviewed.
They were offered a free spa treatment and were asked to sign a waiver form, which they declined.
Rachel, who who runs dog boarding business K9 Services with her husband, said the atmosphere changed completely when the family asked to change rooms.
She added: ‘They refused, and to be honest we felt terrified, and ended up barricading the room with our suitcases.
‘Leah slept in her nana’s room because she was too scared to be in the room with us, in case the man came back.
‘We even looked at trying to get early flights home as we felt so unsafe in the last few days, and until the plane doors closed I could not relax.
‘We were all so glad to get back home, where we feel safe.’
A TUI spokeswoman said: ‘We’re very concerned to hear of the Tulsie party’s experience in the Dominican Republic and take claims of this nature very seriously.
‘We are investigating this with the hotel and are in direct contact with the family to offer our further support and sincere apologies.’
The family has since received an apology from Tui and have been offered £2,000 off their next holiday.
In an email Stephen the travel firm said: ‘I am very sorry to hear about your experience and do hope your daughter is doing well since returning home.
‘I understand how upsetting this experience must have been for her. And I wish to extend my support to her and you all as a family.
‘We take this matter very seriously and would like to assure you that we have expressed our concerns to ensure that this feedback is acknowledged and addressed appropriately.
‘I can confirm that the individual in question no longer works with the hotel chain and was not a member of TUI staff.
‘As he was hired locally by the hotel chain, we do not have any control over this aspect, however our customer’s safety and welfare is our utmost concern.
‘Please accept my sincere apologies for any upset caused to you on this occasion.’
Got a story for Metro.co.uk?
Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected] For more stories like this, check our news page.
Source: Read Full Article