Victoria Derbyshire says she will BREAK the rule of six for Christmas

BBC presenter Victoria Derbyshire says she will BREAK the rule of six at Christmas because she ‘needs’ to see her elderly parents and ‘knows the risks’

  • Victoria Derbyshire plans to celebrate Christmas with the whole family this year 
  • She intends to host husband Mark Sandell and her children Oliver and Joe 
  • The journalist says she will also celebrate with her and her husband’s parents 

Victoria Derbyshire has revealed she would break the rule of six for Christmas to have ‘seven’ for dinner and told how she will ‘do it knowing what the risks are’. 

The BBC journalist, 52, whose BAFTA-winning show was axed in March amid cuts, said her elderly mother with her partner and father-in-law are invited for Christmas.

‘If the rule of six is still in place at Christmas, we’re breaking it to have the rule of seven. We just are,’ she told The Radio Times. 

Open: Victoria Derbyshire, 52, has revealed she would break the rule of six for Christmas to have ‘seven’ for dinner and told how she will ‘do it knowing what the risks are’. Pictured in 2018

Victoria and her husband Mark Sandwell, who share sons Oliver, 16, and Joe, 13 and live in London, told how the family will buy a ‘thermometer gun’ and are ‘not stupid’. 

She told the publication: ‘Joining me, my husband and our two boys will be my mum, her partner and my husband’s dad.

‘It’s fine. We’ll do it knowing what the risks are. We’re not stupid.’ 

Plans: Victoria and her husband Mark Sandwell, who share sons Oliver, 16, and Joe, 13, described how the family will buy a ‘thermometer gun’ and are ‘not stupid’

‘If the rule of six is still in place at Christmas, we’re breaking it to have the rule of seven. We just are,’ she told The Radio Times

‘We’re going to be sensible and buy a thermometer gun. But we have to be together at Christmas.

‘It feels almost irresponsible saying that, but I don’t think we’re alone in feeling that way.’

She continued: ‘We need to see my elderly mum and my husband’s elderly dad. We just do.’  

ster lives in London, which is currently categorised as Tier 2, meaning that you can only mix indoors with your household or bubble.

Current nationwide restrictions still dictate that people can only mix indoors and outdoors in groups of no more than six, with it looking increasingly unlikely that this will ease up before Christmas.

Miss Derbshire said that she had not seen much of her mother during lockdown as she lives in Bolton, but said they catch up on weekly Zoom calls.

‘What I’ve missed most is having loads of people round my house and seeing family,’ she said.

Cuts: The BBC journalist, whose BAFTA-winning show was axed in March amid cuts, said her elderly mother with her partner and father-in-law are invited for Christmas. Pictured in January

‘My mum lives in Bolton, I live in London, so I’ve not been able to see her much. We do Zoom calls every Saturday, but that’s it. It’s mad.’

The star, who had her eponymous current affairs show axed earlier this year as part of a series of cost-cutting measures at the BBC, said she was glad to get the chance to make a documentary about domestic abuse recently. 

Miss Derbyshire might have more on her plate than Christmas lunch in the next couple of months as she is rumoured to be among the line-up for this year’s series of I’m a Celebrity… Get Me Out of Here in Wales. 

The presenter is said to be ‘really looking forward’ to be joining the line-up, which will allegedly also include stars like AJ Pritchard and Vernon Kay, according to a report from The Sun on Thursday.

A source speaking to the publication claimed: ‘Victoria is always game for a challenge so when she was approached for I’m A Celebrity she jumped at the chance. 

‘It’s always something she’s wanted to do but because of her family she’s never wanted to fly to Australia and be away from them for so long.

‘When the show moved to Wales and the opportunity came up, she didn’t want to look a gift horse in the mouth so said yes straight away.’ 

Work: She discovered that her show was being axed as part of a string of cuts when it was reported The Times before the official announcement was made in January this year (pictured)

The source added that Victoria was keen to start filming as she wanted to get straight into the challenges, which will no doubt be markedly different compared to past series given the location change from Australia to North Wales.

MailOnline has contacted Victoria’s representatives and I’m A Celebrity spokespeople for comment.  

The Victoria Derbyshire show began in 2015 and broadcasted live on BBC Two and the BBC News channel every weekday from 10am.

She discovered that her show was being axed as part of a string of cuts when it was reported The Times before the official announcement was made in January this year.

The programme won a BAFTA in 2017 and has been nominated for several awards, including the RTS presenter prize. 

Source: Read Full Article