Victoria records 12 new coronavirus cases, one death
Victoria has recorded 12 new coronavirus cases as Melburnians await Sunday's announcement detailing which restrictions which will be eased.
Sadly, another Victorian has lost their life to the virus.
Premier Daniel Andrews has flagged that more restrictions will be eased from Monday than originally outlined as the state's case numbers were dropping "ahead of schedule".
The 14-day rolling average has fallen to 23.6 in Melbourne and remains at 0.8 in regional Victoria.
It comes as anti-lockdown protesters prepare to return to Melbourne's streets on Saturday, listing various locations across the city.
Under the current road map to recovery, childcare centres will reopen to all families without the need for a permit, more school students will return to classrooms and up to five people from two different households will be allowed to gather in public places.
Mr Andrews said while there would be some additional softening of restrictions across the city, "Sunday will not be a day where we are throwing the doors open and everyone gets to go back to COVID-normal".
He said a change to the five-kilometre radius rule would likely be "beyond the scope" of the imminent changes, but no final decisions had been made.
"I do hope to be able to talk a little bit more about how I think October will unfold and maybe give people some clarity around, because we are ahead of schedule, what might be possible," Mr Andrews said.
Earlier in the week, he said health experts would be making crunching the numbers and finalising decisions well into Saturday night.
On Friday, Victoria recorded 14 cases of COVID-19, and eight deaths. Five of the 14 cases were linked to hospitals or nursing homes.
The state's active cases dipped below 500 for the first time since the start of July, with the Department of Health and Human Services confirming there were 482 active cases across Victoria on Friday. There were only 11 active virus cases in the regions.
At the official inquiry into the state's ill-fated hotel quarantine program on Friday, Mr Andrews said embattled Health Minister Jenny Mikakos was accountable for the state’s disastrous scheme.
But he said had no knowledge of how private security had been put in charge of guarding returned travellers.
He also said he did not believe that assistance from Australian Defence Force personnel was offered early in the program and if he had known the Commonwealth had made subsequent offers of support, he might have made different decisions.
Mr Andrews said he had "no expectation whatsoever … there would be significant extensive ADF support" when he left the National Cabinet meeting on March 27 where it was decided to quarantine Australians returning from overseas.
At his daily press conference on Friday morning, the Premier said the state government needed to ensure any scheme which replaces the shuttered hotel quarantine program was "as robust as it possibly can be".
With Tammy Mills, Noel Towell and Michael Fowler
Most Viewed in National
Source: Read Full Article