Woman 'held as slave for EIGHT YEARS in Oz home is found covered in urine with blood poisoning & weighing just 6 stone'

AN INDIAN woman who was allegedly held as a slave for eight years was found in a pool of her own urine and weighing just six stone.

The victim had a temperature of just 28.5C and was suffering from sepsis and untreated diabetes when she was found at a house in Melbourne in July 2015, according to reports.

The woman spent more than two months in hospital recovering from the ordeal.

A husband and wife have been accused of intentionally possessing the woman as a slave between July, 2007 and July, 2015.

Both have pleaded not guilty to the charges, ABC reports.

The couple, who have not been identified for legal reasons, are on trial at Victoria's Supreme Court.

Prosecutor Richard Maidment QC said the woman initially visited Melbourne twice to look after for the couple's three children and she returned to India each time.

But when she came back to Australia for a third visit in 2007, she did not return to India.

Each of them exercised such a degree of control over fundamental rights and freedoms… as to constitute a state of slavery."

Eight years later, the wife called the emergency services after finding the woman collapsed on the bathroom floor in their home in Mount Waverley.

She has been accused of lying after telling the operator she only knew the woman's first name.

Maidment said the husband and wife have been accused of "interfering" with the woman's freedoms of choice, movement and communication.

This included access to healthcare and her ability to leave the house.

"Each of them exercised such a degree of control over fundamental rights and freedoms… as to constitute a state of slavery," Maidment said.


He said the woman received some saris and "the odd $5 or $10 note on her birthday" in exchange for cooking, cleaning and caring for the couple's children.

"She worked very hard," Maidment told the court.

"During the whole of the eight years… she'll say to you that all she received by the way of payment in Australia were the odd $5 or $10 note here and there that might have been given to her on her birthday."

The woman's son-in-law arranged for her to work for the family in Melbourne and believed she would have been paid, the court heard.

"In the early days she would be allowed to speak on the phone with her son-in-law and daughter two or three times a year, but from about 2012 contact slowed to almost nothing," Maidment said.

When the woman's daughter contacted the couple to ask them to send her mum back to India, she allegedly received two replies, which said "get f**ked" and "tell her to go f**k herself".

Following the email exchange, the woman's family in India contacted the cops in Australia who launched an investigation.

The trial continues.

Source: Read Full Article