Thousands of pensioners to get EXTRA cost of living direct payment to help with energy bills – how to get it | The Sun

THOUSANDS of pensioners are set to get EXTRA cost of living payments to help pay for spiralling energy bills.

The nation is bracing itself for eye-watering energy costs, with bills expected to hit £6,089 a year in April.

Help is on offer to those who are struggling to pay their bills, including council-run schemes like the Household Support Fund.

Since the scheme launched in October, £1.5billion has been dished out to councils, who then distribute these funds to those most in need.

The help on offer – and who can get it – varies from council to council, but you can get food vouchers, free cash, and money to put towards your energy bills.

Many authorities are boosting the cash help on offer specifically to help older people through the cost of living crisis.

Read more in Money

Four areas where food vouchers were SLASHED during cost of living crisis

Just HOURS left to claim up to £150 free supermarket vouchers

Portsmouth Council, for example, announced that thousands of pensioners will be given £100 for free to help with energy bills.

More than 6,000 pensioners on a low income will get the boost – there's no need to apply, the council is writing to those who are eligible.

You'll be able to get the cash if you:

  • were receiving pension credit or council tax support on May 31 2022
  • you or your partner will be over 66 on September 30 2022

Most read in Money


Exact date disability benefit claimants will get £150 cash payment revealed


Exact amount energy bills will rise by in October revealed by experts


I paid £12,400 to remortgage early and emptied the kids’ savings


Christmas presents under threat as port workers go on strike for EIGHT days

Herefordshire Council is also dishing out more payments to help elderly residents.

Around 3,200 households will get a one-off payment of £170, and you are eligible if:

  • you are of state pension age (66 years old)
  • get pension credit guarantee – which tops up your weekly income to a guaranteed minimum level which is £182.60 a week for single people and £278.70 for couples
  • live in Herefordshire but not in a residential or care home

What if I don't live in these areas?

If you don't live in these areas, check out who your local council is and what help they are offering under their Household Support Fund scheme.

You can do that using the government’s local council checker tool by inputting your postcode. 

Help varies from council to council, but Torbay Council offers residents a maximum amount of £50 towards food or energy bills, for example.

While Wolverhampton City Council is giving households containing single adults up to £65 in cash to help with the cost of food and energy.

Read More on The Sun

I moved into a van because rent was expensive… people are shocked by the inside

I’m a savings queen – easy trick I use to budget and how you can too

Even if you're not eligible for help under the Household Support Fund you may be eligible for cash elsewhere to help with the cost of living.

A number of councils have opened up their applications for a discretionary fund to help those on Universal Credit, Council Tax Support and other means-tested benefits – you could get up to £300.

    Source: Read Full Article