Murderer who absconded from prison is caught by police after two weeks

Murderer who absconded from open prison 16 years into life sentence for killing disabled man is caught by police after two weeks on the run

  • Lee Nevins was jailed for life for the murder of disabled man Lee Jobling in 2006
  • He lasted almost two weeks on the run after escaping HMP Sudbury, Derbyshire
  • The killer managed to escape prison in 2008 too, prompting a huge manhunt 
  • Nevin’s accomplice, Mark Lang, was also jailed for life for the unprovoked attack

A murderer who absconded from an open prison 16 years into his life sentence for killing a disabled man has been caught by police after two weeks on the run. 

Lee Nevins had escaped for almost two weeks after failing to return to HMP Sudbury in Derbyshire, where he was out on day release.

Derbyshire Police were forced to launch a manhunt for the convicted murderer who was handed a life-sentence for killing disabled 20-year-old Lee Jobling in 2006.

But the force has confirmed that Nevins was tracked down by officers from Northumbria Police in Washington, Tyne and Wear, on Saturday, October 8.

A Derbyshire Police spokeswoman said: ‘Lee Nevins, who we were attempting to trace after he failed to return to HMP Sudbury, is no longer being sought by officers. He was located by officers from Northumbria Police in Washington on Saturday, October 8.

‘Thank you to all who shared our appeal to trace him.’

It is the second time the Gateshead killer has escaped from prison after a huge manhunt was launched in 2008 when Nevins fled during a trip from Frankland Prison to Sunderland Royal Hospital after he suffered a hand injury.

That time he managed to escape for six days before he was caught by Northumbria and Central Scotland police at an address in Tillicoultry, near Stirling, Scotland. 

Convicted murderer Lee Nevins (left) has been caught by police after two weeks on the run Right: Victim Lee Jobling

Mr Joblin was killed in an unprovoked attack in his own home on Gateshead’s Leam Lane estate.

Nevins was convicted of murder along with an accomplice Mark Lang and jailed for life.

On Saturday April 8, 2006, the victim had invited friends to his flat, on Cotemede, Gateshead, for a few drinks but word got out at the local pub prompting Nevins, then 23, and Lang, 24, to make their way to his home.

High on drink and drugs, the pair – who did not even know their victim – failed to leave with the other guests but instead stayed in the flat and launched the horrific prolonged attack in the early hours.

Nevins (pictured) is once again at large after absconding from an open prison in Derbyshire

The frenzied attack left Mr Jobling severely injured and he collapsed after being repeatedly punched and kicked in the head.

Nevins and Lang fled the scene leaving Mr Jobling lying unconscious and in a pool of blood in his flat.

Paramedics were called and rushed him to hospital but he died of his injuries three weeks later.

Nevins and Lang pleaded not guilty but were convicted following and handed life sentences following a trial at Newcastle Crown Court.

Nevins, who had previous convictions for violence, was sentenced to a minimum of 17 years in prison while Lang would serve at least 16.

The horror killing came after years of Mr Jobling overcoming the odds to survive a childhood blighted by tragedy.

He was just six when his mum Shirley, who was divorced from his dad, died suddenly from a brain haemorrhage.

Mr Jobling and his two brothers went to live with his aunt and uncle, Angela and Garry Knotts, at their home in Gateshead.

Then, at just 15 years old, Lee suffered serious head injuries after falling from a bridge while out playing with friends and spent two weeks in a coma.

The accident left Lee with brain injuries, walking with a limp and suffering from memory problems.

Lee Jobling (pictured above) died after a brutal attack from Nevins and his accomplice Mark Lang

With the support of his family, Lee battled on and, although he was not well enough to work in the months before he died, he had moved into his own flat not far from his aunt’s.

On the night of his death, he’d invited some friends over to celebrate his newfound independence.

Judge John Milford, who sentenced Nevins in 2006, said: ‘For your own amusement, you bullied him, setting on him and causing his legs to be tied with wire.

‘Later you set about him again, striking no fewer than 12 blows aimed at his head.

‘The attack was prolonged and he was left in a dreadful state.

‘You attacked him so you could derive pleasure from his suffering and suffer he did, of that I am sure. I have observed you throughout this case. Neither of you has shown an iota of remorse.’

Source: Read Full Article