OceanGate deletes ALL its social media accounts

OceanGate deletes ALL its social media accounts in a bid to scrub its existence from the internet after doomed Titan sub imploded, killing five onboard

  • OceanGate, the company behind the submersible tragedy, has shuttered its Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and LinkedIn accounts 
  • The company’s website has also gone dark, simply stating it has ‘suspended all exploration and commercial operations’  

OceanGate has deleted all of its social media accounts in a bid to scrub its existence from the internet after the doomed Titan sub imploded, killing all five men onboard. 

The sea exploration company has removed its Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn accounts and stripped down its website following the disaster last month. 

The Washington-based firm’s website now displays a black background with its logo and a single line of text which reads: ‘OceanGate Expeditions has suspended all exploration and commercial operations.’

OceanGate Expeditions’ Instagram account also appears to have been taken down. 

Similarly its LinkedIn said: ‘The page you’re searching for no longer exists,’ and Twitter showed a notice that the @OceanGate ‘account doesn’t exist.’ 

The firm’s website has gone dark, simply reading: ‘OceanGate Expeditions has suspended all exploration and commercial operations’

Twitter showed a notice that the @OceanGate ‘account doesn’t exist’

French Navy veteran PH Nargeolet (left) was on the sub along with Stockton Rush (right), CEO of the OceanGate Expedition

Five people had been on board, including British billionaire adventurer Hamish Harding (left)  and Shahzada Dawood and his son Suleman, who was just 19

A separate OceanGate Instagram account could still be located but all posts had been deleted and the settings turned to private. 

The company’s website was still live last week when the company announced it was suspending all exploration and commercial operations. 

The decision came weeks after tourists Hamish Harding, 58, Shahzada Dawood, 48, and his son Sulaiman Dawood, 19, French Navy pilot Paul-Henry (PH) Nargeolet and OceanGate CEO Stockton Rush died onboard the sub. 

The expedition was marketed at $250,000 per passenger. 

The disaster sparked questions about OceanGate’s past safety record, concerns with previous practices and the future of tourism at the famed 1912 wreck.

CEO Stockton Rush reportedly believed going to the depths of the Atlantic in the Titan was ‘safer than crossing the street’, despite having been warned by dozens of experts in 2018 that his company’s ‘experimental’ approaches could be ‘catastrophic.’

The safety of the submersible and OceanGate’s dismissal of several warnings has drawn considerable criticism after the Titan went missing on a mission to the Titanic shipwreck on June 18.

Rush was also begged in 2019 to suspend operations after a submersible expert heard cracking sounds during one of the Titan’s dives in the Bahamas.

The five men onboard all died after the Titan sub, pictured here, imploded on its expedition

Debris from the OceanGate sub is recovered after the implosion at the Titanic wreck site

The OceanGate sub was launched around 8am in the Atlantic Ocean 400 nautical miles off the coast of Newfoundland, Canada, at the site of the Titanic shipwreck. 

The five passengers started to descend as Rush piloted the vessel.

An hour and 45 minutes into the dive, the vessel lost contact with its mothership, the Polar Prince.

OceanGate took eight hours to report the missing sub to the US Coast Guard after it lost contact.

That led to a massive international response to rescue the five passengers. Ships from across the globe started to make the trek to help search for the missing sub while the hours and estimated oxygen ticked down.

Days later, it was announced the five people aboard the sub were believed to have been killed in a likely implosion.

It was also revealed that a US Navy monitoring system picked up a possible sound of the implosion in the descent- but search efforts continued.

After announcing the death of the five passengers, it was later revealed that debris form the imploded sub was found near the site of the Titanic.

Canadian police are considering whether ‘criminal, federal, or provincial laws’ were broken in the lead up to the Titan submersible disaster.

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police are examining ‘the circumstances that led to the deaths’ of the five crew on board the sub and decide ‘whether or not a full investigation is warranted’.

Their investigation started at the end of June, a day after it emerged human remains were found during the recovery mission and segments of the vessel were brought ashore.

Families of the Titan submersible victims could sue its operator OceanGate, the maker of the vessel and companies that provided parts, legal experts have said.

Source: Read Full Article