Woman found dead in western Sydney apartment

Save articles for later

Add articles to your saved list and come back to them any time.

A woman has been found dead and a man charged with domestic violence offences less than a day after police tried but failed to find a woman who made an emergency call about being assaulted from the same apartment block in Sydney’s west.

Police on Sunday said they received an anonymous phone call from a woman they now believe to be 34-year-old Tatiana Dokhotaru just before midnight on Friday, saying she was the victim of assault and another person in the unit was demanding money.

Tatiana Dokhotaru was found dead in an apartment after a domestic violence call to police.

Police only knew the general location of the Liverpool apartment block.

Police said they had opened a critical incident investigation after acknowledging they had been called to an incident, yet failed to find the disturbance, only to be called back the next day to find Dokhotaru’s body.

On Sunday, 28-year-old Danny Zayat was arrested at the scene and charged with domestic violence offences, including stalking/intimidating intending fear of physical harm, contravening prohibition/restriction in an AVO and destroying or damaging property.

He appeared at Parramatta Bail Court on Sunday. He was refused bail and was remanded to appear at Liverpool Court on Monday.

It is the fourth critical investigation opened by NSW Police in less than two weeks.

Amid concerns about transparency when police investigated police, Assistant Commissioner Stuart Smith said the investigation would be independently reviewed.

Smith said officers had arrived about 3am. “[They] were presented with a dual sky tower of 27 levels and more than 300 apartments,” he said. “They were unable to determine the exact location of the anonymous call.”

Inquiries into who had made the phone call continued throughout Saturday. About 8pm on Saturday, police were called back to the Liverpool unit block, where they found the body of the 34-year-old woman.

“The reason for the critical incident investigation is the priority given to the initial triple zero call, the subsequent inquiries by … police to establish the validity of the original triple zero call from the anonymous caller,” Smith said.

Police have also opened critical incident investigations into the death of a 95-year-old woman who sustained fatal injuries after being shot with a Taser, as well as investigations into the death of a man who was shot by police after running at them with “chef-style knives” on Thursday and the death of a 75-year-old man in Coffs Harbour on Tuesday.

With AAP

The Morning Edition newsletter is our guide to the day’s most important and interesting stories, analysis and insights. Sign up here.

Most Viewed in National

From our partners

Source: Read Full Article