Prince William and Harry 'in the dark' over Diana documentary
Prince William and Prince Harry ‘kept in the dark’ over a new Channel 4 documentary exploring conspiracy theories surrounding Princess Diana death set to be broadcast on 25th anniversary, sources claim
- Channel 4 is set to broadcast a documentary series about Princess Diana
- Investigating Diana: Death in Paris will air to coincide with anniversary of death
- Sources have claimed Prince William and Prince Harry were not consulted
- Insiders said the Dukes were also not shown a preview of the programme
Prince William and Prince Harry have been ‘kept in the dark’ over a new Princess Diana documentary which is set to be broadcast on the 25th anniversary of her death, sources have claimed.
The four-part series Investigating Diana: Death in Paris will air on Channel 4 to coincide with anniversary of the Princess of Wale’s passing on 31 August.
A co-production between Channel 4 and Discovery Plus, the story will be told as a ‘gripping and forensic police procedural’ and explore ‘how powerful individuals, the press and the internet created and fuelled conspiracy theories that overwhelmed facts and called into question the very nature of truth’.
Insiders told The Telegraph the Duke of Cambridge, 40, and the Duke of Sussex, 37, have not been consulted on the programme, or shown a preview of the piece.
Prince William and Prince Harry have been ‘kept in the dark’ over a new Princess Diana documentary which is set to be broadcast on the 25th anniversary of her death, sources have claimed
The princess was 36 when she was killed in a car crash in Paris on August 31 1997.
Her death has continued to attract conspiracy theories over the decades.
Investigating Diana: Death In Paris will recount the dual inquiries into the incident – the first by the French Brigade Criminelle in 1997, the second by the Metropolitan Police in 2004.
It will feature interviews with detectives from both forces, some of them speaking publicly for the first time.
Insiders told The Telegraph the Duke of Cambridge, 40, and the Duke of Sussex, 37, have not been consulted on the programme, or shown a preview of the piece
The series will also examine the public’s ‘insatiable demand for answers, which fuelled unprecedented press interest and the proliferation of online chatrooms, where speculation on the ‘real cause’ of Diana’s death became one of the first viral sensations of the early internet’.
It is directed by Will Jessop and Barnaby Pell, and made by Sandpaper Films, which was also behind Diana, 7 Days, about the week after the princess’s death.
Henry Singer, executive producer for Sandpaper Films, said: ‘This was a really important series to make — not only because we hope it will lay to rest the conspiracy theories that continue to obscure the truth of what happened in the Alma tunnel that night — but because the story is a window into the world today, where conspiracy theories no longer reside in the dark corners of the internet but have gone mainstream and are actually pushed by people in positions of real power.’
Shaminder Nahal, head of specialist factual and commissioning editor at Channel 4, said: ‘This utterly compelling series explores in forensic detail what happened in the investigations following the death of Princess Diana – what it was like for the detectives working on a huge global news story that was not just a tragedy for the families involved, but a massive internet phenomenon too.
The four-part series Investigating Diana: Death in Paris will air on Channel 4 to coincide with anniversary of the Princess of Wale’s passing on 31 August
‘In the end the series asks profound questions about ourselves as a society, and the nature of truth.’
Another documentary charting Diana’s life, The Princess, will air this month after attracting controversy for including footage from her 1995 Panorama interview with Martin Bashir.
The Duke of Cambridge has previously called for the footage of his mother never to be shown again and the BBC has vowed not to broadcast or license it.
Investigating Diana: Death In Paris starts on August 21 on Channel 4 and All 4.
Another documentary charting Diana’s life, The Princess, will air this month after attracting controversy for including footage from her 1995 Panorama interview with Martin Bashir
Last year, the Duke of Cambridge put aside personal differences and stood shoulder-to-shoulder with the Duke of Sussex, 37, to unveil the bronze statue of their mother in the Sunken Garden.
Insiders have claimed that the event was almost overshadowed by William’s anger towards his brother, who had weeks before given the bombshell interview to the American media mogul.
At the time of the statue unveiling, the brothers were said to have barely spoken and had an ‘incredibly strained’ relationship after two years of rows over Harry’s wife and her alleged treatment of staff, the couple’s decision to emigrate to America and the tonnes of ‘truth bombs’ the Sussexes have dropped in TV interviews watched by tens of millions of people around the world.
Source: Read Full Article