Mum ‘lost everything’ in devastating house fire a day after she got engaged

A mum 'lost everything' in a devastating house fire less than a day after she got engaged.

While Lisa Dunn was enjoying a night away with her children and fiance Andrew Bradshaw, who had proposed the day before, at the pantomime as a fire was ripping through her home.

Lisa was alerted to the blaze by her mum, the Stoke Sentinel reported.

The fire claimed the lives of two of the family cats, while a 13-week-old kitten called Marshmallow had to be put down later.

Lisa said: “My mum rang me at 5.30am in the morning telling me my house was on fire.

  • Afghanistan plane crash: First footage of burning wreckage of 'US military' jet

  • Reporter suspended after tweeting Kobe Bryant's rape case story hours after he died

“When I got the call, all sorts were going through my head. I don’t think it sank in properly until the nighttime and the day after – I lost everything. 

“I just didn’t want to be around anybody. I’ve had the animals for a long time and they’re my family, I’d do anything for them.  

“They’re like my kids and I love them to bits, it devastated me. It was awful.”

The 35-year-old believes the fire could have been caused by one of the animals knocking a switch on the cooking, or a faulty appliance.

She added: “There was a lot of smoke damage all the way through the house through having the doors open.

  • Meghan Markle and Harry's moving tribute to communities battling deadly bush fires

“It’s gone from the top and all the ceiling is black where it’s come through the door and gone along.

“That proves that the animals weren’t shut in the kitchen. It's a horrible thing that has happened, it was just the one time but they certainly won't be left on their own again.

“If me and the boys were in the house we would’ve been dead.”

Lisa has not been able to return to the home following the fire as she awaits an asbestos report.

When she does, she is hoping to recover the ashes of her dog Ruby, who was previously cremated.

Her sister Tracey Laycock has set up a Just Giving page to raise some funds for Lisa, so she can get her life back together.

 “People have really clubbed together and helped Lisa out. She’s overwhelmed with all the support she has received," she said.

“We want to thank the people from Autonet for the very generous donation. 

“It’s an accident and it could’ve happened to anybody. People are always going to comment but this girl has lost everything and the last thing she needs are negative comments on top of what she has lost.

“Unfortunately the lives were lost for the pets but if Lisa was still in the house we would be looking at funerals. 

“She is already in the gutter, how far down do they want her to go?”

Lisa says couldn’t have gotten through this without the support from her family, friends and strangers.

She added: “Some people have bought them brand new stuff and it just means a lot and it just puts your faith back in humanity.

“I love how my sister, mum and Andrew and his family have come together, it’s nice to know I’ve got a good support network.

“It’s been amazing how kind and giving people have been.” 

To visit the fundraising page click here.

Source: Read Full Article