As it happened: Russian troops break Ukraine ceasefire; Shane Warne tributes continue to flow

Key posts

  • Almost 10,000 NSW homes still without power
  • Temporary ceasefire agreed between Ukraine, Russia to let civilians flee
  • More than 200 schools in NSW closed due to flooding
  • WHO confirms “several” Ukraine healthcare centres attacked
  • Nervous wait in Picton, where any storms risk town centre flooding
  • NSW flood victims to get extra rubbish removals
  • Even more rain to hit NSW coast, before sunshine returns late this week
  • Artist pays beach tribute to Warne
  • 1 of 6

Shane Warne suffered chest pains before Thailand holiday and was on an extreme diet

Shane Warne had been on an extreme diet in the days before he died, his manager James Erskine has said, and Thai police have confirmed that the family of the former cricketing great had told them he had been experiencing chest pains in the days before he died.

“He did go on these ridiculous sort of diets … and was just finishing one, where he basically only ate fluids for 14 days, and he’d done this three or four times,” Erskine told Nine’s Today on Sunday morning.

Thai Forensic Police inspect the room where Shane Warne was discovered unresponsive and later died from a suspected heart attack.Credit:Images via Matichon Online.

“He was a bit all or nothing, it was either white buns with butter and lasagne stuffed in the middle, or he’d be basically having these black or green juices,” Erskine said, adding that Warne had “obviously smoked for most of his life”.

Erskine said it was only after his death that he learned Warne had been sweating and suffering some chest pain in the past week.

Click here to read the story.

That’s all for tonight

That’s all we have for you tonight, thanks so much for joining us throughout this heart-breaking weekend that saw the nation dealing with the death of Shane Warne, floods in NSW and Qld and the ongoing Russian invasion of Ukraine.

Before we go, here is a look back at some of the major stories from the day:

Warne’s children in ‘complete shock’ after his death, manager says

Chest pains and extreme dieting: Thai medics carry out autopsy on Warne

How a beach break turned into Warne’s final journey

Lismore will die without federal and state rescue, mayor says

There’s light at the end of Sydney’s rainfall tunnel

Putin threatens Ukraine, says nation’s ‘statehood’ at risk due to resistance

Mastercard and Visa shut operations in Russia, Shell pledges to donate profits

Please join us again from early on Monday morning as our Australia news live blog begins for the week and we will have more coverage on our websites throughout the night.

Thanks for all your comments and interactions, please have a lovely evening.

Bye for now.

Almost 10,000 NSW homes still without power

Thousands of homes in NSW flood-ravaged communities are still without power.

Essential Energy, which supplies regional NSW, said in its latest update on Sunday afternoon that almost 8600 flood-hit customers are disconnected from electricity, the majority of which are in Lismore.

Piles of flood ruined belongings line the streets in Ballina in the Northern Rivers of NSW.Credit:Janie Barrett

The organisation said its team of about 400 workers had re-connected power to 3900 properties in the past 24 hours.

“Work is slow-going with excavators being used to create new access roads to the network,” the provider said.

Endeavour Energy, which supplies western and south-western Sydney, said about 1100 homes and businesses along the Hawkesbury, Colo and Macdonald Rivers remain without power.

“These customers have either been isolated for flood safety or where crews cannot access the network due to flooding.

In some cases, properties may not be inundated with water, but powerlines upstream from them are flooded,” Endeavour said.

Ausgrid, which supplies Sydney’s north and east, said electricity for about 165 customers on the Central Coast is cut off.

Conflict could last months, years says Raab

The conflict in Ukraine is set to last months, if not years, Britain’s Deputy Prime Minister Dominic Raab said on Sunday, adding international allies would need to show “strategic stamina” to ensure Russian President Vladimir Putin fails.

“Our mission with our allies is to ensure Putin fails in Ukraine, and it’s going to take some time – we’re talking about months, if not years – and therefore we have to show some strategic stamina, because, this is not going to be over in days,” Raab told Sky News.

Former foreign secretary Dominic Raab is now Deputy Prime Minister.Credit:Bloomberg

Raab described talk of an increased threat of Russia using nuclear weapons in its invasion of Ukraine as rhetoric and brinkmanship.

“I think it’s rhetoric and brinkmanship,” he told Sky News when asked about a possible nuclear escalation by the Kremlin.

“(Putin’s) got a track record as long as anyone’s arm of misinformation and propaganda … this is a distraction from what the real issues are at hand – which is that it’s an illegal invasion and it is not going according to plan.“

Reuters

Temporary ceasefire agreed between Ukraine, Russia to let civilians flee

Reuters and other media outlets are reporting a new temporary ceasefire is set to begin at 10am local time today.

The Kyiv Independent tweeted that Donetsk Oblast governor Pavlo Kyrylenko said the temporary ceasefire would run from 10am until 9pm and a second attempt to evacuate civilians from Mariupol will begin at midday local time.

The mayor of Mariupol said people had no heat, power or water and were running out of food. Credit:OSINTtechnical

The city council of Ukraine’s Mariupol said an evacuation of some of 400,000 residents trapped by Russian forces would start at noon (1000 GMT) under a temporary ceasefire that will last till 9pm.

A similar plan had to be abandoned on Saturday after the ceasefire was not fully observed, with both sides trading blame.

Women and children arrived at buses to be evacuated on Saturday only to come under fire and have to turn back.

The city mayor told media there was no water, power or heating left on in Mariupol and food was running out.

Reuters with Roy Ward

More than 200 schools in NSW closed due to flooding

The NSW Education department says there will be 208 schools closed in NSW on Monday due to flooding.

This comprises 110 state schools, 63 independent schools and 35 Catholic schools.

The list is current, at the time of writing, and the majority of schools are in northern NSW.

Click the link here to see the full list of schools.

Britain compares Russian tactics to those in Chechnya, Syria

LONDON: British military officials on Sunday compared Russia’s tactics in Ukraine to those used in Chechnya and Syria, where cities were bombarded and heavily damaged after Russian forces faced unexpected resistance from their defenders.

The strength of Ukrainian resistance continues to surprise Russian forces and they have responded by targeting populated areas, including the cities of Kharkiv, Chernihiv and Mariupol, Britain’s Ministry of Defence said in its daily intelligence briefing.

“This is likely to represent an effort to break Ukrainian morale,” the ministry said in a statement.

“Russia has used similar tactics in Chechnya in 1999 and Syria in 2016, employing both air and ground-based munitions.“

Russia’s advance has been slowed by attacks on its supply lines, the ministry said. As a result, there is a “realistic possibility” that Russia is now trying to disguise fuel trucks to reduce losses.

AP

WHO confirms “several” Ukraine healthcare centres attacked

The World Health Organization has confirmed “several” attacks on health care centres in Ukraine and is investigating others, the agency’s chief said on Sunday.

The attacks caused multiple deaths and injuries, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus added in a Twitter message.

“Attacks on healthcare facilities or workers breach medical neutrality and are violations of international humanitarian law,” he said.

In his brief post, Tedros did not mention Russia, which invaded Ukraine on February 24.

Reuters

Nervous wait in Picton, where any storms risk town centre flooding

Sandbags line the pub in the main street of Picton where residents have been on standby on an evacuation warning issued on Saturday night when surrounding creek levels were rising.

Ellie Crump who manages the Picton Hotel on Argyle Street said she was monitoring the flood warnings on Sunday.

Shops in the town centre of Picton have sandbags down as further storms could see the area flooded.Credit:Dean Sewell

“We’ve got sandbags and some boards up as well just in case, so we are not caught off guard as we have been in previous years,” she said.

“We just want to be on top of this. Water levels were up last night, they’ve gone down this morning and the rain has stopped for now thankfully, and we are just keeping an eye on how things go throughout the day.”

Wollondilly Shire Council mayor Matt Gould said a severe storm dropped close to 50 mm of water on the town in an hour.

“That caused a rapid increase in the height of Stone Quarry Creek and there was an hour when we were very concerned that we were going to have inundation through the town centre and there was an evacuation warning issued,” he said.

“Fortunately it has gone down a bit today [Sunday] but we are still very concerned there is the possibility of severe thunderstorms later this afternoon that could drop between 70 and 140 mm of rain and if that was to happen we would be looking at a situation where inundation of Picton town centre is likely.”

Picton resident Lyn Davey’s property backs onto the Stone Quarry Creek which has threatened to flood in recent days.Credit:Dean Sewell

Lifetime Picton resident Lyn Davey said she had been watching Stone Quarry Creek rise behind her house in recent days and is prepared to evacuate with her car and a computer.

A trampoline lies discarded in the creek after washing up 12 months ago and a subdivision is going ahead nearby despite local concerns about its location near the creek.

Ms Davey remembers when the creek rose into her yard and licked the house in 2016. A caravan floated through a nearby graveyard at St Mark’s church that year, smashing through about 50 heritage gravestones, “knocking them down like dominoes”.

“I spent the next couple of years fund-raising $56,000 to replace them because the insurance at the church didn’t cover it,” she said.

Residents including Ms Davey’s 85-year-old father have been helping sandbag the church in the hope of protecting it from similar destruction.

NSW flood victims to get extra rubbish removals

Anyone affected by flooding in NSW can take rubbish to the tip for free, as the cleanup effort continues.

In the Northern Rivers region, the state government said there are 37 waste collection crews roaming around to help remove flood-damaged items.

Severe flooding hit Lismore in northern NSW last week.Credit:Elise Derwin

NSW Premier Dominic Perrottet said more than 700 emergency services personnel are assisting local residents, including Defence personnel, firefighters and surf lifesavers.

To speed up the recovery, Deputy Premier Paul Toole said residents from 45 council areas affected by the floods can take rubbish to landfill for free.

Emergency Services Minister Steph Cooke said Northern Rivers councils are providing extra red bins and skip bins arrived in the Lismore CBD today.

“The clean-up process is hard and heartbreaking as belongings are thrown out. I want to assure everyone impacted by these floods that the additional waste removal services will be in place for as long as it takes to clean up,” she said.

In flooded parts of Greater Sydney, including the Hawkesbury region, state and local governments are arranging bulk waste removals, skip bins and additional garbage collections.

Watch: John Howard joins tributes to Warne

  • 1 of 6

Most Viewed in National

Source: Read Full Article